+ Reply to Thread

Default Worth trying Rogaine?

Hi I am a 24 year old and began to notice that the hair in the front of my head was thinning about 4 months ago. I just recently went to the Doc and have just began to use Propecia. I want to try and regain the thickness that I lost because it went pretty quick, but I noticed that rogaine is only to be used for the vertex of the head. Is it worth it for me to use rogaine to try and regrow the hair I lost in the FRONT of my head?

Thanks in advance.

Or are there any other suggestions as to how I can thicken the thinning hair in front. I caught it pretty early and got on Propecia so it is not that noticeable, but I would like to gain the thickness back.

Thanks

Some people do report frontal growth. It's definitely worth a try.

It's harder to gain back or maintain the frontal area. Minoxidil is your best shot. You can speak to your doctor about stronger strenghts once you have given 5% a go for 4 months. Are you using nizoral shampoo? If not get it asap.

You can also get that from your doctor. You can do some quick searches online to know what it does. You will realize it comes highly recommended by hair loss sufferers.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    Hi I am a 24 year old and began to notice that the hair in the front of my head was thinning about 4 months ago. I just recently went to the Doc and have just began to use Propecia. I want to try and regain the thickness that I lost because it went pretty quick, but I noticed that rogaine is only to be used for the vertex of the head. Is it worth it for me to use rogaine to try and regrow the hair I lost in the FRONT of my head?

Thanks in advance.
    I believe when Rogaine was conducting their studies, they did not test Rogaine on the front of the head, as they only focused on the crown. That is why they say it is only for the back of the head. Some restoration doctors I have spoken with will recommend applying minoxidil to the front of the head as a treatment, although matienence/regrowth success is different with each individual.

Make sure you consider the possibility of a temporary shed, that you may lose what you've gained/maintained if you ever stop, and that you should stay on it for a long enough time (I would suggest 6 months to a year but I'm not doctor) to give it a chance to work.

I personally thought the pros out weighed the cons in my specific hair-loss situation and have been applying rogaine 1x at night for over a month now.

I've heard some good things about Rogaine but i'm still reluctant to try it out myself. If you have any progress or even if you don't could you let us know pleease.

I have used it on and off for about three years. Initially, I didn’t think it was doing anything for me and stopped after a few months and at that point I was using 5% twice daily. I went back to using it about a year later same 5% but now in foam and have been using it once daily for the last year. While my hair to me is jacked beyond my belief from doing a HT (crown) in '94 at age 28 I do think the frontal area has benefited from using Rogaine with possibly even some growth certainly thickening of current hair in the frontal 2/3s. I do not recall any shedding either time I started using it.
    It is hard to substantiate as I have no real before and after pictures. But looking in the mirror every day and styling my hair I have more options than before. My girlfiend had also commented on a discernable difference. Outside the use Rogaine I do not think she even knew it had really bothered me to the extent it does. She and I recently went to see what HT options I had with the prior damage to the donor region from the shotgun extractions and the plugs in the recipient area.
    This website has been a valuable tool for me in researching the differences from before to now, are remarkable, as well as what does work and what are snake oils. It also is helping in finding a qualified physician to do the repair work the good and bad thing is that now I have too many good choices to consider. I have had two consults with IAHRS surgeons, but am still a bit gun shy after what happened the first time and unfortunately with doctors in general because of it.
    I would like to add that given what I know now I would have waited before doing any surgery as what kills me now IS the carnage left from my own lack of knowledge and my trust in doctors to be honest and upstanding and that doctor’s absolute knowledge of what he was doing to a person, scaring them for life for a small monetary gain. We didn’t have Rogaine or Propecia et al back then as options just live with it or what I choose or the hair club that was it. If you thin early in life just remember every dog has his day in that many of your friends will be there too one day.
    Sorry for the ramble….