Here's my story. What do you think I should do next? - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Here's my story. What do you think I should do next?

I must say, I never thought I'd be doing this...

I'm losing my hair. I must be in the right place. I never saw it coming. My father, who is in his 60's has the same head of hair that he did when he was in his teens, only salt and pepper now. My younger brother, who is in his mid 30's, shows no signs that his hair will abandon him someday. Me on the other hand, I just turned 40, and have a receding hairline. Like I said earlier, I never saw it coming. Men on my mother's side of the family have a history of balding, but they started the process in their 20's. One of my younger cousins on that side of the family was well into the balding process before his 30's. I believed that like my brother I was in the clear.

To be blunt, I don't like it.

Not.

One.

Bit.

My bangs are dwindling, making it difficult to style my hair the way I like. I avoid going outside, because the wind will mess it up, showing my bald areas. If I do, I immediately go to a mirror and fix it when I get back indoors. I try to stay away from bright lights, because it illuminates my scalp, making it more obvious. I've even had people make joking remarks about my balding, which I smile at, but it really eats me up inside. Some people love to tell me: “You're just going to have to get used to it.”
    There's a strange thing I found about those people that love to tell me that: I don't see them going bald.

I'm fighting it. Praying, wishing, selling my soul to whatever supernatural entity that will grant me my wish, using Minoxidil, rubbing home brew concoctions on my head, I feel like I've tried it all. I haven't dabbled with Propecia out of fear of the sexual side effects. I have no desire to trade one problem for another, and that's if it even worked. I could be balding and have a penis that doesn't work either. Talk about going from the frying pan and into the fire.

I've used Minoxidil for nearly a year. Sometimes I think it is working, other times I'm not sure. Maybe its all my imagination. Recently I decided to seek professional help. I went to two different hair restoration professionals, one was Bosley, and another was an independent.

When I went to Bosley, the consultant told me right from the start that he didn't think my hair loss was bad enough that I needed a transplant. He even recommended that I stay using the Minoxidil and try using on of the laser devices they sold. From what I understand, it won't bring the dead hairs back, but it may rejuvenate the ones I have and keep my hair loss from getting worse. The device that was recommended to be was a little over $700.

The independent I saw recommended that I use Propecia in addition to surgery. They stated that statistically, the chances of Propecia affecting my sexual function was very slim. However, when they told me the prices of their transplant and laser devices I had to keep my jaw from hitting the floor. I can't afford it, not theirs anyway.

So, here I am. I'm not sure what I want to do. I've tried shaving my head in the past, and I am just not pleased with how it looks. I know I don't want to lose my hair, and I would be grateful if I could keep what I have. I'm thinking about going the Bosley route, which means buying the laser device and using it along with Minoxidil to keep my hair from getting worse. Bosley's laser is FDA cleared. Maybe, if I'm lucky, it will help improve what I have left. I've heard different stories about lasers and hair loss.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Stay away from Bosley for anything especially a hair transplant. You may just have a naturally receding hairline but we can't tell unless you post a picture. Propecia is very safe and the side effects if any usually go away but you may not even need that at this point. Not a fan of the laser. Post some pictures and you will get better advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Hair MIA View Post
    I must say, I never thought I'd be doing this...

I'm losing my hair. I must be in the right place. I never saw it coming. My father, who is in his 60's has the same head of hair that he did when he was in his teens, only salt and pepper now. My younger brother, who is in his mid 30's, shows no signs that his hair will abandon him someday. Me on the other hand, I just turned 40, and have a receding hairline. Like I said earlier, I never saw it coming. Men on my mother's side of the family have a history of balding, but they started the process in their 20's. One of my younger cousins on that side of the family was well into the balding process before his 30's. I believed that like my brother I was in the clear.

To be blunt, I don't like it.

Not.

One.

Bit.

My bangs are dwindling, making it difficult to style my hair the way I like. I avoid going outside, because the wind will mess it up, showing my bald areas. If I do, I immediately go to a mirror and fix it when I get back indoors. I try to stay away from bright lights, because it illuminates my scalp, making it more obvious. I've even had people make joking remarks about my balding, which I smile at, but it really eats me up inside. Some people love to tell me: “You're just going to have to get used to it.”
    There's a strange thing I found about those people that love to tell me that: I don't see them going bald.

I'm fighting it. Praying, wishing, selling my soul to whatever supernatural entity that will grant me my wish, using Minoxidil, rubbing home brew concoctions on my head, I feel like I've tried it all. I haven't dabbled with Propecia out of fear of the sexual side effects. I have no desire to trade one problem for another, and that's if it even worked. I could be balding and have a penis that doesn't work either. Talk about going from the frying pan and into the fire.

I've used Minoxidil for nearly a year. Sometimes I think it is working, other times I'm not sure. Maybe its all my imagination. Recently I decided to seek professional help. I went to two different hair restoration professionals, one was Bosley, and another was an independent.

When I went to Bosley, the consultant told me right from the start that he didn't think my hair loss was bad enough that I needed a transplant. He even recommended that I stay using the Minoxidil and try using on of the laser devices they sold. From what I understand, it won't bring the dead hairs back, but it may rejuvenate the ones I have and keep my hair loss from getting worse. The device that was recommended to be was a little over $700.

The independent I saw recommended that I use Propecia in addition to surgery. They stated that statistically, the chances of Propecia affecting my sexual function was very slim. However, when they told me the prices of their transplant and laser devices I had to keep my jaw from hitting the floor. I can't afford it, not theirs anyway.

So, here I am. I'm not sure what I want to do. I've tried shaving my head in the past, and I am just not pleased with how it looks. I know I don't want to lose my hair, and I would be grateful if I could keep what I have. I'm thinking about going the Bosley route, which means buying the laser device and using it along with Minoxidil to keep my hair from getting worse. Bosley's laser is FDA cleared. Maybe, if I'm lucky, it will help improve what I have left. I've heard different stories about lasers and hair loss.

Any advice would be appreciated.

There is only one thing that statistically will have any real effect for most men. Propecia(dutasteride works just as well or better but isn't fda approved and side effects are more severe and longer lasting). I have tried all that crap and frankly nothing has worked for me other than propecia, which hasn't stopped my hair loss just slowed it down. Be thankful you kept your hair until 40! Many on here(including me) faced this as 21 year olds when most of our friends had no hairloss. Now at 40 most of my friends have a good bit of hairloss or are bald. I would say only 3 of my 10 closest friends still have a good head of hair. I went the hairtransplant route and while my transplants weren't bad, they are thin now and I really wish I had just tried the drugs then shaved it! At 40 there is no way I would choose to go under the knife without having prior work and needing it fixed, of course I am married with kids and don't care that much anymore.

Here's some pictures. You can't see them, but I do have some tiny, fine hairs growing around the edges. What do you think?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Well, no one responded to what they thought of my pictures. I'm pretty sure its balding and not a mature hair line. I wanted to go ahead and state some additional information.

- The independent hair transplant surgeon I saw told me that I would eventually lose all of my hair in the front. Can he really predict that? Part of me thinks I was told that to try to sell me a transplant.

- When I part my hair down the middle, which is how I normally wear it, I feel like the parting looks huge. Maybe its just my paranoia, or the way the light hits it. Does anyone else have this problem?

- I've started using Toppik. I don't have to use much, but it helps mask the thinning. I keep hoping no one at work will notice. I think it makes me look better, but I feel bad for having to use it. Then again, why should I? We all do things to keep up our appearances. Some men dye their hair and beards. Women wear make up and get boob implants. Its not the real them. Why should I feel bad for using something to make my hair look thicker and fuller than what it really is? If it makes me feel better and I'm not hurting anyone then why not?

- Today, I bought my fourth and possibly final round of Minoxidil. I'm about ready to give up. I'm depressed that I'm losing my hair, but I'm also tired of the stress it has caused me. For nearly two years, I've been fighting to get it back and I don't know how much longer I can do it. I'm tired of fretting over it. Part of me says just shave it off and be done with it.

- I've recently started taking 30,000 mcg of Biotin a day. I know it's more than the recommended daily dosage, but...

- I haven't made a decision of Propecia yet. I'm terrified of trying it. I saw an interview where this one man stated that it caused him sexual problems and shrunk his penis.

- I've noticed new fine hairs coming in around the edges of my hairline. I'm hoping.

You are losing your hair and I would start using propecia to slow it down and wait for something better to come along. For every guy that said he had a side effect there are 1000 that had no side effect so don't focus on that one guy in a 1000. Give rogaine at least 6 months before you get off of it.
    Stay away from a transplant until you see what kind of pattern evolves and use what ever makes it looks better and don't feel bad about it. There are hair thickening shampoos that can also help. You are lucky some people have been battling hair loss for over 20 years like me

Thank you for the response. I am currently using Biotin shampoo and conditioner. When I said that I was on my fourth round of Minoxidil, I think I was unintentionally misleading. What I meant is that this is the fourth time I've bought the 3-pack. Therefore, I've been using it for about 9 months, going on 10. I see fine hairs growing near the edges, but I'm not sure if that's because of the Minoxidil.

I think I've come to a decision. I think next week I'm going to go to the doctor and ask him to write me a prescription for Propecia. This week my hair loss made me really depressed. I was in the grocery store and passed by a mirror. The lighting in the store was really bright of course it made my hair look really thin. I could see the top of my scalp. I left the place feeling like crap. Totally ruined my day.

I'd like to go ahead and do Propecia. I know there's a risk, as with any medication, but at this point I think I'm willing to take it. I can't afford a hair transplant, and it's a damn shame that it's so expensive. I'm just wondering if you all think that there's a chance it will give me some of my hair back? I know I'll probably never get it all back, but some would be nice.

The Toppik is working nicely for me. I got a small sample of it. I started using a light coat of hairspray with it because if I don't the wind and movement I make throughout the day causes it to shake loose. Today I had a good hair day at work because of it.

At this point buddy, i'd say finasteride is your only option. It's either that or shave it which to be honest I think Is your best option! I defintely think you need to go short on the sides. Currently the length of your hair is just accentuating your receding hairline. Take my advice and go short! I'm taking a number 1 on the back, sides and then however short you're willing to go on the top. Perhaps leave the front a little longer to give you something to play with? It's either that or shave it. I don't care what people say, anyone can pull off a bald head! But there are certain things you've not got to do first

1: The most important of all.. Give absolutely no ****s my friend! Look at Dwayne Johnson for example. He walks round with confidence and he smashes it. If you want to be able to pull of a bald head you've got to have the mental state to do it.

2: Sign yourself up to a gym and get jacked! This will not only improve your self confidence by an unbelievable amount but when you're a big guy and you're bald you will feel and look like one hard bastard! Not only this but girls will be attracted to you through your manly appearance.

3: Get a tan. No racism intended here but have you ever seen a black man with a bald head that looks bad? No.. neither have I. Having some colour to your skin will make sporting a bald head so much easier! Not to mention you still have hair there to sport! You're letting the anxiety beat you her buddy. Just go military style short and then perhaps take finasteride along the way to aid in some regrowth? Side effects are so exaggerated on this site. The almost non existent minority of people who've experienced these horror stories are stupid af! They've taken the drug, expierenced sides and for whatever reason continued to take the drug? It's simple, if you experience sides then stop taking it and they'll go away.

You're at that age now where most people don't care about hair loss, it's a common thing and definitely not something to be stressed about at your age! Look for alternate ways in which you can improve your self confidence and appearance aside hair! It will change your life for the better, trust me!

I forgot number 4, grow facial hair if you can. This little trick can make any amount of hair loss look good. It's a blessing.

Laslty, MAKE SURE YOU READ THIS ARTICLE

http://www.girlschase.com/content/ho...-handsome-hell

It will help you find other ways to improve your self confidence which the receding hairline looks to have destroyed.

Kc makes some good points.

There are options to Drugs, Rugs and Plugs.

1. Do nothing (except get a BETTER haircut). Long hair on balding guys looks AWFUL!

2. Buzz it or shave it (and grow a beard, if you can).

Most men (and some women) go bald. It's part of life. Load of other crap to worry about.

Most guys who complain about not being able to attract someone (be it a woman or a man) because of their baldness are kidding themselves, it's about their personality, and what they project to the world.