+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Putting on a Brave Face

Is anyone else finding that after several years of hair loss, putting on that 'brave face' and pretending to be happy when friends and family are about is just wearing thin and becoming too much like hard work?

I used to be able to just vent by various methods such as complaining on forums, playing the 'nasty customer' in shops etc to men with hair and generally making the lives of the hirsute miserable.

None of this is working any more and I think my girlfriend has finally started to notice my complete apathy towards life after three years of being together.

No, not really - jus cut your hair short and move on with your life

you feel sorry for yourself so you think its ok to be rude to random shopkeepers just because they have hair...once you recieve a good beating from one of the shopkeepers, im sure you'l keep your mouth shut

Fixed_by_35 is simply going through the five stages of grief. Though no an exact science, it goes something like this:

1.Denial – This can't be happening, I cannot lose my hair.

2.Anger – Why me? It's not fair. Who is to blame? etc.

3.Bargaining – I'd give anything to have a few more years of full hair.

4.Depression – Why bother with anything. I'm bald. People laugh at me. Any disease has got to be better than this curse.

5.Acceptance – Well I'm bald, my friends and family still love all the same, I have a girlfriend, maybe life ain't so bad after all.

Fixed_by_35 is somewhere between 2 and 4. He will at some point reach stage 5 and realize that the people who matter in his life don't care about his hair, or lack thereof.

Actually, managed to reach stage 5 about three years ago when hair loss stabilised at an acceptable point even without drugs.

Then it all started again 6 months ago.

Also, reaching different stages of your life should initiate stage 2 again going up to 4, before you reach the next mile stone and start again.

It's not a series of emotions that happens once. It's a series of emotions that goes in a cycle. First, you go from 2-4 when you graduate. Then when you're looking for a life partner, you go back to stage 2. Then when you're getting married (nothing looks worse than a bald groom) it happens again. Every time you go back to square one where you ask 'why did this have to start before I'd even lived?'

It kick starts each and every time you look for a new job. Or when you're in line for a promotion that you lose out to some bloke with lots of hair.

Each and every time you're about to reach stage 5, something crap happens because of something you have no control over. Hair loss only becomes easier to deal with when you retire and are one of the vast majority.

Thus, it makes far more sense to not get over it and to be angry about it because it's a far more natural reaction. I'm already living in a shell feeling like the walking dead, if I accept it then the last piece of the old me will be gone, replaced by some retarded, pathetic pushover of a bald bloke.

As for life after baldness, forget it. You might be fine living a peasant life with limited opportunities, not giving a second thought to what might have been if things had been different, but I'm glad to be astute enough to know it has made a negative difference that has condemned me to a third rate life. If you really believe life will go on, perhaps you need to concentrate harder on how often someone less talented than you succeeds just because they're not bald.

I may joke about my baldness now but it caused me a lot of upset when I was younger.

The same disadvantages of baldness can be experienced by men with other conditions, like short stature for example. A man who is 5'4" will suffer from the stigma much like a bald man. Not his fault, there is no "cure," all he can do is live with it. Everyday he's gonna wish he was taller, the same way you wish you had hair.

I honestly don't know what i will do when
    my
    hair gets worse. There is a good chance of it and I am definitely in denial.

I'd far rather be short than bald, that's for sure.

No doubt being a norwood 5 is much
    worse than being short.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixed by 35 View Post
    I'd far rather be short than bald, that's for sure.
    Well, if Devil said I had a choice. I'd rather be bald and average height, than 3 feet 2 inches short with a thick head of hair.

I have full confidence that a really good hair system out there exists for me.

Oh, and I'd rather be bald than be 68 stone, too.