+ Reply to Thread

Question Derm in Five Months. Can My Hair Survive Until Then? Parents Are Denying Balding.

Hey guys, I'm new here. I'm 17 and I've always had thick, nice full head of hair that I was always complimented on. Most of the time I have it long, but one day in early January I noticed my hairline receded. My parents said it always looked like this (I don't think so) but it surprised me when I lifted up my hair after the shower to see that.

Anways, I noticed my hair thinning around the front as well and I can see my scalp in the light if I pull my hair back. My parents don't believe I am balding but I am 90% sure I am. My mom agreed to set a dermatologist appointment which is the first time in months someone's actually helped me. However, this appointment is in late September so I'm not sure what to do.

I'm not allowed to get on mino or fin until this derm says so, and I'm very scared and don't want to lose more hair. I don't have a job but I am looking for one, so I can't get my own stuff yet. I'm at a loss of what to do. Is there a way to schedule an earlier appointment or are there other solutions? I am in desperate need of help/advice.

Additional Info/Questions: - My dad is bald on the front and crown, but that didn't start until his 30s, and it only got bad in his 40s.

- No one in my family has a receding hairline. Why am I cursed with this hairline?

- No one else is bald except my dads side, which once again started later. So why is this happening to me so early?

- I have dandruff/itchy scalp pretty bad, I've heard it is usually associated with balding. I've always had dandruff my whole life, but my scalps gotten more irritated recently. This is pretty much the prime reason I'm allowed to see a derm.

Thanks for reading!