+ Reply to Thread

Default Looking for a non toxic adhesive tape

Dear all,
    there has been already some discussion about the chemicals used to make adhesive tape glue on the scalp Existing discussions do not reveal much about products that are safe (eg not containing Toluene).
    My current understanding is that all the mail order businesses are purchasing large volumes of tape somewhere in China and then just sell it to us. Of course, there is no specification attached. This does not encourage trust in the products safety.
    Can anyone recommend an adhesive tape that is safe and is certified in some way (eg as surgical tape). The 3M tape I found on Hairdirect is only one sided.

I would appreciate your support.
    Thank you very much.
    Best regards
    HPH

"My current understanding is that all the mail order businesses are purchasing large volumes of tape somewhere in China.........By "mail order" I presume you mean online businesses. What is the basis for your "understanding?" Cite the source. Did you vet the source? What are the brand names of tapes being imported from China? Provide the names of the resellers distributing these tapes.
    You mention Hairdirect. They resell tapes. Thus they must be included in your "all" characterization. Did you ask them about their Chinese tape imports? In addition to Hairdirect and other online distributors with websites, tapes are also sold on Amazon and Ebay. What tapes on Amazon and Ebay do you include in your Chinese imports?
    You mention "chemicals." Since you assert a safety hazard exists then surely you can document confirmed cases of a malignancy (or other condition) specifically linked to the usage of a hairpiece tape or adhesive. Tapes have been on the market for decades. Cite one verifiable malignancy attributable to a hairpiece tape.
    I suggest you research established medical archives in search of your citation. Here is a link that will get your research started.....https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...dical_journals. I suggest you start with journals related to oncology and dermatology. You should also contact the American Cancer Society and equivalent organizations in other countries. Likewise do not forget the American College of Oncologists and American College of Dermatologists and their equivalents in other countries.
    Lastly review a Toplace link from November 2016 including the comment by John (owner)....a highly rated supplier with a knowledgeable owner......http://forum.toplace.com/showthread.php?tid=6502.

Dear Ivlace,
    thanks so much for your message and all your suggestions. Maybe you have misunderstood my intend. My goal was not to bash any tape producer or mail order businesses. In addition there is of course no scientific research on specific tape usage, as the problem is scientifically irrelevant (to few users, not enough public interest, funding).
    The toplace poster does state that tapes are safe. Although he seems rather trustworthy, this individual perspective is not backed up with data or certificates. That's why once again my question:Can anyone recommend an adhesive tape that is safe and is certified in some way (eg as surgical tape).
    Thanks.

........."scientifically irrelevant (to few users, not enough public interest, funding)." Really! Millions of users of hairpieces worldwide. And decades of usage. If malignancies were occurring I guarantee that in the USA the Surgeon General and the CDC would be interested. Likewise the public health officials in every state, and oncologists and dermatologists, etc.

I suggest you take John's (Toplace) advice and contact the appropriate state officials in the state of your choice asking for data relative to toxicity. Legal liability exposure I suspect precludes any manufacturer or distributor from issuing an all inclusive guarantee of zero possible harm. At best their exists a statement that no known toxins exist in the tape's ingredients.

I have no special knowledge about chemistry or medicine, but I think you can be reasonable confident if you buy one of the Western brands like Walker that the products are safe and contain what they are supposed to. I use Walkers 3-mil and Walkers No-Shine, and have never had any problems.

Chinese companies have a terrible product safety record, so I agree that buying no-name brand Chinese adhesives would be a mistake.