+ Reply to Thread

Default Aggressive Shedding Out of Nowhere

Hi there everyone. I've been experiencing very rapid and aggressive shedding over a course of the past 4-6 weeks. Now I know that I have a receding hairline and it has been progressively increasing little by little over about the past 3-4 years, which I'm actually fine with. I think I'm probably a NW3 now. But my hair has never shed this intensely or for this long before. Normally I just notice a few pieces of hair fall every once in a while, but I just brushed my hands through my hair a few times and shook my head out over my desk and this is what came out (http://imgur.com/a/IcYTK). I've also been shedding hair even from my eyebrows for the past year.

I went to see a dermatologist and he told me I'm losing hair way too quickly compared to the regular progression of MPB and that I have telogen effluvium (but I guess that seems to be a pretty standard response from what everyone tells me). He also tells me that I have diffuse thinning all over the top of my scalp (which I've never had before). I'm even thinning out over my crown and not a single person in my entire extended family has lost hair there. All this being the case he put me on Rogaine.

Is it possible that this is TE and Rogaine will help me regain some of the massive amounts of hair that I've lost within just the past month without needed to stay on it forever? I'm fine with continuing to lose but just not at such a rapid rate.

If this is normal MPB progression, has anyone experienced it just dramatically ramping up and killing their hair within a month like this?

Also, would anyone recommend temporarily adding Finasteride to help the Rogaine? My concern is that I want to help my hair, but I don't want to change it's chemistry so that the remaining hair now has to rely on a crutch.

Thanks!
    -Dan

*bump*

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Koko View Post
    Hi there everyone. I've been experiencing very rapid and aggressive shedding over a course of the past 4-6 weeks. Now I know that I have a receding hairline and it has been progressively increasing little by little over about the past 3-4 years, which I'm actually fine with. I think I'm probably a NW3 now. But my hair has never shed this intensely or for this long before. Normally I just notice a few pieces of hair fall every once in a while, but I just brushed my hands through my hair a few times and shook my head out over my desk and this is what came out (http://imgur.com/a/IcYTK). I've also been shedding hair even from my eyebrows for the past year.

I went to see a dermatologist and he told me I'm losing hair way too quickly compared to the regular progression of MPB and that I have telogen effluvium (but I guess that seems to be a pretty standard response from what everyone tells me). He also tells me that I have diffuse thinning all over the top of my scalp (which I've never had before). I'm even thinning out over my crown and not a single person in my entire extended family has lost hair there. All this being the case he put me on Rogaine.

Is it possible that this is TE and Rogaine will help me regain some of the massive amounts of hair that I've lost within just the past month without needed to stay on it forever? I'm fine with continuing to lose but just not at such a rapid rate.

If this is normal MPB progression, has anyone experienced it just dramatically ramping up and killing their hair within a month like this?

Also, would anyone recommend temporarily adding Finasteride to help the Rogaine? My concern is that I want to help my hair, but I don't want to change it's chemistry so that the remaining hair now has to rely on a crutch.

Thanks!
    -Dan
    Why are you asking non-professionals? ASK YOUR DOCTOR! Anecdotally, from what people have written here, on this site, Finasteride actually can cause shedding, when beginning treatment... so you would be likely to loose even MORE hair.

Again... ask your doctor!