+ Reply to Thread

Default Trying to Understand MPB Better

So I have a couple questions. I apologize if they seem dumb, but I figure there's no such thing as a stupid question right?

First a little background about me, I have a history of MPB/hair loss in certain individuals in my family, my dad has a very receded hairline with only a patch of hair on the top of his head that he combs over but no thinning at all on his crown and he's almost 60, my mother's father was probably about a NW4 w/o the bald spot when he was 23 (from what I can tell from photos) and then went to a NW5 sometime after that. Other than that, almost all the other men in my family started receding a bit but then stopped and still have a descent amount of hair in their later years.

I believe (from what I can tell) that I have my father's hair but all I can do is guess. And at 27, going on 28, he tells me that I've been doing a little better so far than where he was when he was my age. That said, I've been noticing my hair loss patterns being similar to his. I noticed my hairline receding/that I was losing a lot of hair in my senior year of high school (he said so did he). Went to probably about an NW2. Then I did not notice any significant hair loss for years, possibly a very slow recession but not enough to be noticeable. Within the past two years however 26-28, I've noticed that I've lost a lot of hairline again (he said so did he). Probably now an NW3. However he claims that his hair line never sped up again after that and stayed relatively the same for years with only very minor recession throughout the years until he was about middle aged.

My question is this. Is it possible for a person with Male Pattern Baldness to see themselves reach a certain stage on the Norwood Scale and then simply maintain that stage for a great length of time? Or am I destined to keep losing hair very quickly until I reach one of the later stages of the scale?

My other question is this. I've been thinking about starting Finasteride and Minoxidil, but I don't want to be on them forever and I'm concerned about how drastic the change will be if I stop taking them later. Can anyone who's used those treatments and then stopped later in life let me know how drastically it affected their hairline?

*bump*