+ Reply to Thread

Default Finasteride Side Effects

I just recently joined this forum to post a picture of abnormal thinning hair and a couple of days ago I encountered an even more concerning issue. I have been taking finasteride 1mg for about 6 months every day, and about 3-4 days ago I noticed that my erections were a lot "softer" then normal. I do not have a girlfriend at the moment so the only reason I am concerned about this is if its one of the "permanent" side effects I have continuously read about. This is the only side effect that I have noticed besides mild pain in one of my testicles. I do not want to stop taking the finasteride but at the same time I do not wan to permanently damage my body. I have reduced my dose to .5 mg and if that does not at least lessen the side effect then I may take a week or two completely off of the medication to see if the side effect lasts or goes away. ANY advise from someone who has experienced or is more knowledgeable about this would be greatly appreciated. I have done my research and I even visited a doctor about the issue and his response was that side effects from medication is normal and he would recommend to continue taking it if I am enjoying the benefits. I do not fully trust this advice because even he admitted he was not very knowledgeable about finasteride and I have done a lot of research, but from what I read the consequences vary drastically person to person.

I think I replied to another one of your posts regarding finasteride. I took it 15 years ago at the age of 23`ish maybe 24?. I noticed my erections were not as hard and I stopped using finasteride. I noticed that my erections there after took a while to get back to "normal". These days "hardness" is hit or miss being 38 now, depending on stress, energy, diet, sleep etc. so I can't speak to if it did any long term damage or not.

My suggestion to you would be stop taking it for 6 months and see how your erections do without the medication. If you notice that they're not what they used to be stop taking them all together. 6 months would be a good window frame to let the medications completely exit the system and your body function naturally. Also, could be in combination of other medications you may be taking.