Threaded View

Default Things to Do When Hair Loss Starts

I thought I'd compile a list of the top ten things to do if you start losing your hair to male pattern baldness:

1) Get on the 'Holy Trinity' of medications; Propecia, Rogaine 5% and Nizoral shampoo.

2) Start getting qualified in a profession where you can work for yourself. It will avoid a life time of being passed over for promotions if you can succeed on your talents rather than your image.

3) Start saving every penny you can, either for a future treatment or a hair transplant if you can't wait for that.

4) Keep your hair short, but don't shave it. Remember, when you cut yourself, you cover it up with a plaster. You don't cut a gauge of flesh out to make it look better!

5) Don't fall into the trap of thinking that expensive cars, clothes and gadgets will compensate for the hair loss. They won't. Hair loss is a license to give up on your image, not to have a midlife crisis. Nothing you wear or own will change the fact that in the eyes of the world you look crap.

6) Don't grow facial hair. It makes you look even older and it looks crap.

7) Don't have children. If you don't enjoy life any more because you're 20 and balding, why on earth do you think your children will be any different?

8) Get Toppik or Nanogen and start covering up. No one can tell you're using it and with the right hair spray it will not come out during the day.

9) Never laugh at a bald joke. Make sure you destroy the confidence and, if possible, the livelihood of any person who ever tried to make you the butt of a bald joke. I have had my job of deciding who to make redundant made far easier because of the stupidity of people who tried to cross me. It's a great feeling that takes your mind off your hair loss for a while. See what you can do.

10) Accept baldness as a license to give up on trying to reach the top. You can now enjoy a life of beer, comfy chairs and television!