19 years old, hair loss (pictures included)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lawrence1
    • Mar 2017

19 years old, hair loss (pictures included)

Hi guys. So I'm 19 and I noticed I was losing hair/thinning a little over a month ago. I started finasteride around 3 weeks ago, and my hairline seems to continue receding. I have really long hair so I'm not always sure.

I know finasteride takes a while before you start to see results, but is it normal for hair loss to continue for some time after starting the medication? I'm wondering if I should also start using rogaine? Does anyone have a norwood estimate? The thinning is not great, I have always been able to see my hair part though, if that makes a difference.

My last concern is that I am starting finasteride too early, as my facial hair is still developing, and I don't want it to stop developing or existing hairs to grow in slower. Does anyone have experience with this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (24).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	482465Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (25).jpg
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	482466Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (26).jpg
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	482467Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (27).jpg
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	482468Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (28).jpg
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	482469Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6158.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	482470
  • BaldBearded
    • Jan 2017

From what I have read, Finasteride will stop development of facial hair. You won't lose what you have, but you won't develop more.

So this, unfortunately may be a price you pay.

You are taking something that has an effect on your endocrine system.

Propecia (finasteride) is used for the treatment of male pattern hair loss (androgenic alopecia) in men. Includes Propecia side effects, interactions and indications.

Ask your doctor, and do your research.

Comment

• Localguy
      • Jun 2014

You do know that you will go thru a shed when you first start taking finasteride don't you? Also if you start rogaine. It can be very upsetting until it grows back. I personally think you are too young to be taking anything, and your hair is still thick. It may or may not kill your sex drive, that is too much of a risk at your age.

Comment

• Lawrence1
        • Mar 2017

I was told by people that my hair was thinning, so I was worried and decided to try out the finasteride. I heard that shedding is more of a rogaine problem, but it makes sense that finasteride would do that as well. I'm just worried that if I stop finasteride now, whatever hair loss I had will just continue at the pace it was going and I'll be pretty bald in only a few years, which I'm not prepared to handle at my age. So far I have not had any side effects of finasteride, but it is early on. Would it be a smart idea to stop the medication now and wait a year or so? I just don't want to lose a significant amount of hair so young.

Comment

• Localguy
          • Jun 2014

I think you are going to experience a shed now since you've been on Fin's for three weeks already, so don't panic too much. I think it will grow back. What you might have is what some call a maturing hair line. When I was about 21 my temples started to recede and I thought I was going bald for sure. But it only went so far and my hair stayed great until my 40's, then the crown slowly started to thin out a little. That's when I started fins, it worked great for me but really messed up my sex drive. The thing is you don't know for sure how it will effect you. I guess I would slowly cut down on the Fins until you can see a doctor and get professional advice. It's possible you just have a maturing hair line right now.

Comment

• robincurtz
            • Jan 2015

Is she a female? If yes, then what is the meaning of talking about finasteride?

Comment

• Lawrence1
              • Mar 2017

Uh.. I'm a he? I'm a guy...

Comment

• Lawrence1
                • Mar 2017

I did speak to a doctor about starting finasteride and she was fine with me doing so. I don't think I've started shedding yet? If I did, I can't tell. I'm going to see a dermatologist over the summer. I'm just concerned with starting finasteride and then stopping it, and having more hair loss as a result.

Comment

Working...