+ Reply to Thread

Default knowing if you have sexual side effects?

So for about 5 years I was on the standard dose finasteride to slow my MPB. Not sure how well it worked but I think it at least halted for a while. No side effects as far as I know on fin. Then fast forward and my HL started getting worse, or appeared to be. After much thought I made a switch to dutasteride, 0.5mg every other day. No side effects noticeable until about a year later I started having some sexual problems (PE, and some ED). I have some issues still keeping an erection, not always, but more than I used to. I've noticed more problems recently, but also I seem to have some performance anxiety that developed- or at least been in a cycle of it. I have been under some stress lately which doesn't help. The first several months (first year really) of taking dut I never had any of this- in fact my libido might have been higher at some point.

I know there are so many factors with sexual dysfunction that can play a role so just going by "must be the meds" makes be skeptical, esp considering I had no known issues in fin and on almost the first year of dut.

Are there any tips to know the cause of this (especially erection issues) to see if it's actually dut/avodart besides just stopping. I've cut down to about 3X per week just in case but I'd rather not totally stop if it's not the real cause if I don't have to.

That being said, are there also any tips to minimize/counter any possible sides of these types of drugs (diet, herbal supplements, etc).

Inactive

I can't answer all your questions, but I'll speak to what I can. First off, I think this is definitely worth talking to your regular doctor about and/or whoever is prescribing you your medication. They'll know based on your history what to look for and what the likelihood is that this is being caused by the medicine. You are also very smart not to jump to conclusions and automatically assume it's the medication, as you are 100% correct that there are many factors that can play a role in malfunctioning equipment. It could be the medication, but it could also not be.

As for tips to minimize/counter any of this, I will say that the healthier you are, the better off you'll be when it comes to sexual desire and performance. Eat clean and healthy, work out, take care of yourself, don't smoke, avoid having too much alcohol, get enough sleep, etc. I really find it fascinating how much my sex drive increases when I'm in better shape, and especially after an intense workout - something about the increased testosterone/adrenaline that comes with lifting weights and doing cardio.