+ Reply to Thread

Default Is it worth having a transplant if I wont take meds

Hello everyone,

I'm really loathe to take meds such as Minox and Propecia as I am very concerned that it may exacerbate my already loud tinnitus.

I'm 51, I have a lot of donor hair , I have a thinning hairline and diffuse thinning on the crown area.

In principle, would I be wasting my time if I had a hair transplant without taking meds? Would I have issues with shock loss If I can't take meds?

Thank you.

Adam

I would say that is is a waste of time. If you begin to lose more hair or even if you lose some to shock loss you might be screwed.

Shockloss is unpredictable at best. If you have class 7's on either side of your family history, then you have to be careful in deciding to move forward. Without effective meds like Propecia, your hairloss WILL progress and you will need lots more surgery. But if the hailoss in your family does not exceed class 5 or so, then you can probably get by doing some surgical hair restoration providing your goals and expectations are more realistic and in line with your age at 50 something. I think you can enhance your hairline and your look considering your present age and the fact that you are not completely bald. If you were in your twenties, I would be saying something much different.

Feel free to e-mail me your pics in confidence if you like and I would give you my honest opinion. I can give you an approximate idea of how many grafts it might take to achieve the look you desire based on your hair characteristics.

Also continue to research all of the benefits and drawbacks of surgical hair restoration so you are aware of the risks. Best wishes to you.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Whatever hair you have transplanted will become permanent but the bigger risk in you not taking meds is that the rest of your hair will continue to be lost. Donor supply is limited and you might not have enough left for an acceptable level of coverage throughout if you hair loss progresses to a Norwood VI or VII. However, it's worth consulting with some reputable HT surgeons to see if they feel you are a suitable candidate for a procedure.