+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Any hope for a hair transplant??

Hey guys,

Been on and off this forum for years now, I've just turned 27 and my hair loss is so severe now :/ I started losing it at 20-21 years old, which as you can imagine was very difficult to come to terms with. Back then I was already dealing with some pretty horrific things that my family went through, so hair loss on top of that was a real soul destroyer and I suffered greatly for quite a few years. I'm at the point now where I have to either shave it off and accept it, or get a hair transplant for something to frame my face. It’s not a nice situation to be in, I still feel far too young to be fully bald, it will age me significantly and will affect my confidence unless I can fully accept it and be happy bald.

I won’t touch propecia and have been using minoxidil for years and it’s not really doing anything anymore, I think it helped to slow down my mpb for a while. I am well aware of hair transplants, the procedure, the expectations etc. I went to a reputable clinic recently who reckoned I had about 4,500 grafts worth of donor hair. They were reluctant to operate due to my age and said that they would only be willing to transplant 1,500 grafts for a frontal lock to frame my face until seeing how far my hair loss progressed in the future. However, the way I look at it is this; I am a diffuse thinner, you can see exactly where my hair loss is going to end at a norwood 5-6. I could use those 4,500 grafts for a semi decent result and possibly fill out the rest with body hair. I have a lot of chest and beard hair, the chest hair is even quite thick and grows pretty long!! I’m also aware that going down the HT route is a long, expensive and potentially risky. It’s a really tough to decision to come to so I was just hoping to get some opinions/advice on this forum from those more experienced than me who have gone down this route. It’s also worth mentioning that I can’t really afford prices in UK so I would be considering going to a reputable clinic in somewhere like Turkey.

I am really tired of hair loss affecting me so badly and I just want to move on with my life one way or another. I’ve attached some pictures for you to look at my donor hair and density. Look forward to hearing from some of you.

Thank you!
    BB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Back 1.jpg

Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	51684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Back 2.jpg

Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	51685   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side.jpg

Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	51686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top 2.jpg

Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	51687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top 3.jpg

Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	51688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top.jpg

Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	51689   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2473.jpg

Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	51690  

Progesterone has regrown all of my diffuse areas. Where my scalp follicles are dead, it hasn't worked.

Currently I take five milligrams topically. It's been so successful I am doubling it to ten milligrams.

Think you would gain most of your hairline, and probably the majority of your vertex back.

First of all it looks like you would be able to pull off a close cropped look, so that might be an option. Since you have chosen not to take Propecia, I would say a hair transplant at your stage would be risky and probably will not provide you with the look you really want. It’s very possible that you will be worse off if you choose to have surgery even with the best FUE clinic.

I remember I responded to your thread a year ago, I believe Joe felt you were not a candidate, my suggestion will remain the same, if you are really interested in knowing whether you are a candidate for a hair transplantation you need to have an in person evaluation with an ethical surgeon, I went to Dr. Gabel in Portland Orgeon for evaluation, he's as ethical as they come, it's impossible for anyone to accurately asses your situation with out evaluating whats going on with your hair at the magnification level, some high magnification glasses are needed to do this. Most HT surgeons are equipped with this equipment, your donor looks fine to me, however under magnification you could have miniaturization that is not detected by the naked eye. I had my first transplant at 29 in 2014 I dont take finasteride, 3 years later its still going strong, but again only an in depth look at your family history and in person evaluation could give an estimate as to what your future hair loss could be.

Quote Originally Posted by k9gatton View Post
    Progesterone has regrown all of my diffuse areas. Where my scalp follicles are dead, it hasn't worked.

Currently I take five milligrams topically. It's been so successful I am doubling it to ten milligrams.

Think you would gain most of your hairline, and probably the majority of your vertex back.
    Post some before/after pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Louish View Post
    Post some before/after pics!
    Already did. Check out my Progesterone thread!

And, I'm getting another script as well. It's really working for me.

Of course, the scalp with no terminal hair isn't growing back that well.

Really believe BreakingBald would benefit from this. He would at least regrow
    his diffuse areas, and the vertex, if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by k9gatton View Post
    Already did. Check out my Progesterone thread!

And, I'm getting another script as well. It's really working for me.

Of course, the scalp with no terminal hair isn't growing back that well.

Really believe BreakingBald would benefit from this. He would at least regrow
    his diffuse areas, and the vertex, if anything.
    I've seen those, the before is a super close up with so much light compared to the after pic you can't really make an assertion from it...More light makes everything look worse. You don't have a better set of pictures?

Default Attached the file. Wrong about that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017_03_05_1.jpg

Size:	2.1 KB
ID:	51697

That's March 3rd, 2017. I need to update this more often.

Admin, could you please delete my post above? Thanks.
    Last edited by k9gatton; 04-18-2017 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Please delete yesterday's post.

Sounds dogdy as to take something like that...and clearer pics would be more helpful in bright light.

Quote Originally Posted by HTsoon View Post
    I remember I responded to your thread a year ago, I believe Joe felt you were not a candidate, my suggestion will remain the same, if you are really interested in knowing whether you are a candidate for a hair transplantation you need to have an in person evaluation with an ethical surgeon, I went to Dr. Gabel in Portland Orgeon for evaluation, he's as ethical as they come, it's impossible for anyone to accurately asses your situation with out evaluating whats going on with your hair at the magnification level, some high magnification glasses are needed to do this. Most HT surgeons are equipped with this equipment, your donor looks fine to me, however under magnification you could have miniaturization that is not detected by the naked eye. I had my first transplant at 29 in 2014 I dont take finasteride, 3 years later its still going strong, but again only an in depth look at your family history and in person evaluation could give an estimate as to what your future hair loss could be.
    Cheers for you reply man, I got preoccupied with this thread on another forum as it got more responses. Basically been told by ASHMED that they want me to take propecia which I'm not willing to do so looks like I am going to start living life as a bald man in the next 1-2 years. Glad things worked out for you so far, guess you were afraid of fin too? It just seems so dodgy to me no matter what people say.