+ Reply to Thread

Default Potential Red Flag Patients

This is a general topic and only my opinion to help cast a perspective to all who read. You might be one of these patients even, so need ask yourself - Is HT surgery for me ?

Every clinic has had a patient who comes for a consultation for a hair transplant but displays certain characteristics or personality traits that make them a potential ‘red flag’ patient and not an ideal candidate for surgery possibly. It is important to be open and honest about this and i appreciate it's a delicate subject but it is a fact and a reality that not all patients are eligible for surgery regardless of their hair and it's very important if you are a perspective HT patient you make sure you are ready for this mentally as its a tough old process. Tougher for some than others.

This is only a guide to highlight things and only my opinion. With that said let’s take a look at some primo red flag types Dr's encounter:

The Guy with Unrealistic Expectations

He brings you a picture of George Clooney or Brad Pitt and says: “I’ll have that.” He glazes over when you describe the likely results and insists you promise something on a whole different level.

The Super Doubter

This guy seeks constant reassurance and books multiple consultations without ever making a decision. His insecurities, fears and doubts plague him and no amount of reassurance from actual Drs, patients or examples work.

The Poor Communicator

He asks a million questions, doesn’t listen to the answers then asks the same questions again and again. He tells his life story or only glosses over it, expecting you to guess the rest. He gives one-word answers and doesn’t provide helpful feedback or he expects loads of information from you and doesn’t ask questions. You never know who you’re really dealing with.. Or if they are even legitimate.

The Zero-Trust Guy

Armed with the hair transplant horror stories of people he doesn’t even know, he’s sure you can’t really do what you say you can. He challenges you to prove everything you say, insists your case studies are fabricated and demands you provide him with a Money Back Guarantee in writing.

The Commitment-Phobe

As in life, this guy will never be able to bring himself to commit to a life-changing medical procedure. His complacency rules him and no result – no matter how positive – will ever make him happy.

The Long-Term Relationship Guy

The opposite of the commitment-phobe, this fellow craves attention, even if that attention involves pain, discomfort and expense. By all accounts, men with hair loss can allow themselves to become socially isolated and develop profound insecurities. A bigger problem comes when the only people he feels comfortable turning to for his emotional needs are those who can treat his condition. He will postpone his surgery several times, just to have a reason to hang around a bit longer and suck up more of that medical empathy juice.

The Impulse Bandit

This guy wants to jump in – head first, as it were – and hand over his life savings (or go into debt), without really knowing the full story or what is involved short and long term. He’s ready to swipe his credit card and wants to get on with it pronto! Barely interested in the risks, he simply expects his full head of hair back.

The Price Negotiator

Even when it involves a life-changing medical procedure, this chap will try his luck at scoring a good deal. Believing he’s in the bargaining chair, he’ll question your experience, your reputation, your equipment and even your practice’s address (“Come on, mate, it’s not like you’re in the high rent area!”).

The Always-in-Touch Guy

He’s always got questions, always needs to talk to someone. He calls the office right on knock-off time, emails daily with his latest ‘Dr. Google’ discovery and calls your emergency number after hours with “an important question”. What do you think he’ll be like after his procedure?

The Mentally Unwell Guy

You never know who you’re dealing with until the cracks start to show. Your apparently happy-go-lucky new client could be suffering from clinical depression or anxiety which is not uncommon. Or, he could have Body Dysmorphic Disorder, a condition in which the patient believes there is something very wrong with their appearance and without professional counselling, is unlikely to be satisfied with any treatment to improve it. You’re trained in hair transplants, not psychology or psychiatry. Keep to your lane.

Red flag customers, once identified, must be looked at very carefully to determine whether they are really someone who should ever have surgery. Given the increase in the numbers of medical litigation cases, any practitioner can scarcely afford to take on a red flag client, or they could leave themselves massively vulnerable to business headaches and reputation strikes at best, and malpractice suits and practice closures at worst. Vetting potential hair transplant patients is not just a right, but a duty.

It is important patients gain a comprehensive in house consultation with a dr who is a trusted source and allow Dr to meet you and get a feel for you and more importantly research this surgery extensively for 6-12 months prior to rushing in as it could well save you a great deal of time energy and anxiety knowing your head is in the right space prior to pulling the HT trigger,

Link to TBT UK show where we discussed and touched on this topic :

http://www.thebaldtruth.com/hair-tra...plant-surgery/

Regards
    Spex
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.