+ Reply to Thread

Default Azelaic Acid 2.5% Liquid - w/out Minox

I'm interested in using Azelaic Acid, but I have no interest in using Minox. Pretty much every mention I've seen of AA, is either a cream(which cannot be used outside of the hairline), or in a solution mixed with Minox.

I have instead decided to obtain some raw Azelaic Acid powder, and mix it with perfumer's alcohol. Pure ethanol alcohol is too difficult for me to source, and I think perfumer's alcohol should do well enough.

Perfumer's alcohol is not pure ethyl alcohol. It is a combination of ethanol, and Butyl.
    99.875% (v/v) Ethanol, 200 Proof
    0.125% (v/v) tert-Butyl alcohol and denatonium benzoate

I will be mixing in 3g of AA per ounce of perfumer's alcohol. After adding 3:1 water, this will make a 2.5% solution.

I will pour 1 oz of alcohol in a 4oz bottle. I will then add 3g of AA. After giving it an hour to dissolve, I will then add 3oz of distilled water. This should provide me with a month or more of AA solution, that can be applied to the entire scalp, rather than just the hairline(which is all you can do with the cream).

I haven't done this yet. It's simply the plan. What do you think? Any corrections needed? I'll post updates once I make the mix(which will likely be a few weeks).

Azelaic acid likely won't do much if anything for hair loss. There are no invivo studies showing it benefits mpb as far as I know.

You can purchase the flakes online mix it yourself they fairly cheap.

Just an update, I skipped on the perfumer's alcohol, when I realized I had some hand sanitizer that was just pure 67% ethyl alcohol(the rest being distilled water). My little 4oz bottle is a dollar, and actually easier to dilute. I have the powder on the way.

As to AA being useful for MPB, it is true there are no human studies. And I don't know how useful it is in general. I do however, know more than a few people who were losing crazy amounts of hair on various AAS, like tren or winny. Both of which are basically DHT in a syringe, so Propecia/Dut wouldn't do a thing to stop the hair loss.

They saw the amount of loss drop off a lot when they tried using Azelaic Acid. It may not do much for natural hairloss, I can't say. It sounds like it helps with super physiological levels of DHT.

Does it make any difference for someone who isn't on steroids? I don't know. It may not have even helped them. But they seem to think it did. It's cheap anyway, and I'm curious. So I'll give it a go.

I just made the solution!

It was even simpler than I expected. I decided to use a 2oz bottle. I filled it half full with the hand sanitizer, and added 1.5g of azelaic acid powder. Then I filled it up the rest of the way with bottled water. I set it out in the sun for a few hours to let it heat and mix. I rolled the bottle around a bit and it appears to be 100% dissolved

The whole process took less than 10 minutes.

I applied it about two hours ago, and it appears to be active as there is mild itching/irritation on my scalp where I applied it. I previously tested just the hand sanitizer and water in the same ratio and it had no such effect. This was insanely easy/cheap. All costs, including 12 bottles, 30 grams of azelaic acid powder, ethyl alcohol, were $26. And it's enough AA powder to make 20 bottles at 2.5% solution.

That's under a $1.50 per bottle which lasts for about a month at 2ml/day!

I suppose you could add the cost of a 1ml oral syringe if you don't have one. I think a 10 pack is about $6 on Amazon. I use it for easy application(same as RU58841 and when I apply Nizoral for set in treatment to kill Malassezia yeast).

this acid does nothing for hairloss. i actually haven't encountered any scientific literature saying it does anything. I've used in a minox mix, no change. no regrowth. dont waste your time on it.

Quote Originally Posted by cardib View Post
    this acid does nothing for hairloss. i actually haven't encountered any scientific literature saying it does anything. I've used in a minox mix, no change. no regrowth. dont waste your time on it.
    No, it doesn't cause regrowth. Not sure why you would think it would. It's to prevent excessively high DHT levels from damaging follicles. It doesn't cause regrowth.

It doesnt do anything...........and it was thought to enhance the effectiveness of minoxidil not anti-dht.... but like i said, i dont care if you want to waste your time and your money on this. you sound like a dinosaur talking about azelaic acid...ppl tried it in the past including myself and we go no positive resuls be it less shedding or growth..
    but like a classic forum member, you want to argue that said treatment is/will be effective when their is a host of real time users saying its a waste of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by WanderingOracle View Post
    No, it doesn't cause regrowth. Not sure why you would think it would. It's to prevent excessively high DHT levels from damaging follicles. It doesn't cause regrowth.

Quote Originally Posted by cardib View Post
    It doesnt do anything...........and it was thought to enhance the effectiveness of minoxidil not anti-dht.... but like i said, i dont care if you want to waste your time and your money on this. you sound like a dinosaur talking about azelaic acid...ppl tried it in the past including myself and we go no positive resuls be it less shedding or growth..
    but like a classic forum member, you want to argue that said treatment is/will be effective when their is a host of real time users saying its a waste of time.
    Lol @ you sound like a dinosaur

Sorry op you are likely wasting ur time with az acid. There is not a single success story I've seen with it alone. I've read doctor lee used to use it in his high strength minox formulations to alter the ph/acidity level in order to achieve high levels of minox in solution. Of course he put a positive spin on it since there are invitro studies showing az acid may help.

Of course it doesn't work alone. I'm only intending to use it to offset RU58841's half-life issue.