+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Where on your scalp did you start noticing baldness?

For me it was very strange. I was 17 years old at the time, and I had wavy hair. Not a strong wave, but I longed for stick straight hair.

Anyway, I went out and bought a product called TEEDA (or something like that name). It was a liquid hair straightner that would relax the hair once applied to the scalp, a bit like hair dye.

Anyway, this formula was a bit irritating on my head so I washed it out after 30 minutes. The top of my head where the crown is, I remember it being very itchy. So I looked at the top of my head with a mirror. I noticed where the itch was a very small area where hair was missing - about the size of a very small shirt button. Anyway, I had assumed the liquid product had burnt my skin and also made a small bit of hair fall out.

To cut a long story short, I think this was the start of my male pattern baldness. Because from that date and for next 10 years, I went from having thick wavy hair to what I am now, like a billard ball with a bit hair on the back and sides!

Yeah, I know it had nothing to do with the hair product but that's how I first discovered I was balding.

When I had my haircut pretty short in December. Could see the tuft at the front of my head starting to form as my temples were becoming more noticeably receeded. Funnily enough I've always noticed a decent amount hair on my hands when showering since I was about 17 and made jokes about going bald with my friends and I had such a head of hair on me they'd say I was crazy. Luckily for me the only thinning seems to be happening at the hairline/ temples and i still have pretty good density everywhere else. I just hope I caught it in time and can maintain now with fin. Did you take any meds yourself Gusto? Good luck to you man and it's nice to see someone talk about hairloss in such a light hearted way. I think I'm starting to get there myself after months of self pity

I had no idea that I was balding until my girlfriend at the time pointed it out. She said” I think your going to be bald you should do something about that.” Needless to say we are no longer together, but it hit me very hard and I began to obsessively look at my hair in the mirror and get down about it. People can be so cruel, but it did get me interested in doing some research and that’s how I found this forum. Mine began in the hairline.

Quote Originally Posted by Fazlaa View Post
    When I had my haircut pretty short in December. Could see the tuft at the front of my head starting to form as my temples were becoming more noticeably receeded. Funnily enough I've always noticed a decent amount hair on my hands when showering since I was about 17 and made jokes about going bald with my friends and I had such a head of hair on me they'd say I was crazy. Luckily for me the only thinning seems to be happening at the hairline/ temples and i still have pretty good density everywhere else. I just hope I caught it in time and can maintain now with fin. Did you take any meds yourself Gusto? Good luck to you man and it's nice to see someone talk about hairloss in such a light hearted way. I think I'm starting to get there myself after months of self pity
    No, not on meds, but I have worn a few wigs and toupees in my time. I'm still looking for that definitive hair system!

I never always found it funny. In the mid stages of baldness I hated my hair. Absolutely loathed it. But I think we're at the dawn of something brilliant in hair restoration in today's day and age. Fake hair is getting better and that medical cure might be round the corner.

Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Delphi View Post
    I had no idea that I was balding until my girlfriend at the time pointed it out. She said” I think your going to be bald you should do something about that.” Needless to say we are no longer together, but it hit me very hard and I began to obsessively look at my hair in the mirror and get down about it. People can be so cruel, but it did get me interested in doing some research and that’s how I found this forum. Mine began in the hairline.
    Yeah. Lucky I found out before anybody else did and I could keep a check on it and make sure it was covered.

I found out at the hairline about 3 years ago...slowly back then though.

I thought I would only have problems way later in life. Here I am at 20...now also starting to thin at the back.

eh

Quote Originally Posted by KeepTheHair View Post
    I found out at the hairline about 3 years ago...slowly back then though.

I thought I would only have problems way later in life. Here I am at 20...now also starting to thin at the back.

eh

I see: 17, about the same age as me.

I probably started losing hair at about 18 or 19 but I only noticed when I was twenty. I never really paid any attention to my hair before then!

Seven years on, I'm at a crossroads not really knowing what to do next. I'd like a transplant, but I'm not convinced I'd be happy with the result or that it would last very long, especially considering the slow creep will probably see me at a Norwood VI by 50. Of course, it could be much earlier than that too.

I just wish it was easier to just give up. I have an unchallenging job I hate, because my baldness stops me getting promoted (see Emmid Institute study to back up the claim) and I've become socially awkward because people treat me differently than they used too. My ambitions to work in politics have been thwarted, because it's an image obsessed profession, and my interest in acting came to a dead end as the only roles I could see myself getting as a tall balding person was an extra for a villain! Will absolutely nothing going for me whatsoever, I do wonder what on earth keeps me going, yet I've somehow been spared the depression and just spend my entire life in a state of irritability and being pissed off with everyone and everything.

Started around 18 or 19.

I used to be one of those cool kids with spikey hair. I lost hair around the temples and had to start combing my hair forward to try to hide the hair loss. It was and still is very depressing.

Around 22-23 I started noticing massive shedding all over my head to the point where you could see my scalp. Finasteride gave me back a huge amount of hair and made my hair much thicker.

If I could get hair on a 2" x 1" area around my each of my temples, my hair would look completely normal and I'd be very happy, but I'm not sure how to go about that.

One big false assumption people make is that because my hair loss is significantly less than theirs, it means my "suffering" is significantly less also. It isn't. Hair loss is hair loss. I look at myself in the mirror everyday and wish it wasn't so, with the same passion as you, which is equal to the power of a thousand burning suns.

You may well think that now, but if you think it feels bad now just you wait until chunks of scalp start showing through! I thought it was bad when it was a bit of recession, now it's like the world is caving in and I've lost all will to spend any time on my appearance at all.