+ Reply to Thread

Default 35 y/o with generalized thinning and significant health problems

Hi everyone,

Thanks for any help you can provide, and for listening.

I'm an older dude (35). I have ongoing health problems that are severe and life altering. I'm working really hard to figure them out, but they probably won't be rectified in the very near future.

Over the last 18 months or so, I've noticed a generalized thinning of my hair. That's the best way I can describe it. I have no hairline recession; I simply have...less hair all over my head. It's most concentrated on top, but other parts of my head seem thinner as well. I've tried to document this with photos, but because it's generalized and diffuse, it's hard to pinpoint a progression. I know my hair is definitely thinner. I am going to speak with a dermatologist about it this week.

So I find myself in a bind. There is enough male pattern baldness in my family for me to believe that this could, of course, be genetic. I'm also sick, and have been for a while. I don't have a hormonal problem that we know of. I did have some deficiencies/insufficiencies (D, B12) that were corrected. I'm still working on correcting a magnesium deficiency.

I don't know what to do about the hair loss. Of course I'd like to be completely healthy first, then reevaluate, but I don't know if I have that luxury. There's no immediate end in sight to my health problems.

It seems to me I could do one of three things: 1) nothing. Wait to see what happens. And then try to accept what's going on with my hair in the meantime. It is psychologically damaging to me, however, to see yet another problem (hair loss) with my body, and that's a negative about not doing anything. It does not seem particularly rapid, so maybe I have a little time. 2) try Rogaine and see what happens. This could be sort of a stop gap. Maybe it arrests/regrows some hair. 3) Finasteride + Rogaine. Obviously the best for hair loss, but I don't know how good this would be for my overall health.

Would starting finasteride be a crazy idea with multiple health problems? Is that even an option? Is using Rogaine with something like Regenepure DR worth it?

And, whatever I do, I would have to make sure that it wouldn't interfere with other treatments/diagnostics.

As you can see, I'm in a very rough spot. I'd really appreciate any guidance anyone can offer.

Thanks so much.

I think Rogaine would be the safest option until you find out what is going on. I would also use Nizoral shampoo 3 times a week.
    Anything else like Finasteride I would run by your Dr. because that may interfere with specific test they are doing.