+ Reply to Thread

Default Help - Receding hairline or mature hairline? Do I have male pattern baldness?

Hey guys I have been tormented over the last year wondering if I have male pattern baldness, hair loss, receding hairline, whatever. I tend to be a hypochondriac but this is kinda ruining my life so please tell me if im just wasting my time worrying and my hairline is actually perfect with no evidence of MPD, receding hairline etc. (btw my crown is fine I know that for sure). I went to the dermotologist and she said she didn't see militarization. I need someone to be a brother on this one and let me know, I feel like there's some early signs of hair loss. Please don't hype this up to be an issue if it's not, be honest. Here are some pictures. I've always had a high hairline and do have some history of MPB btw. Guys am I losing my hair?!?!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5393.jpg

Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	51535   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5394.jpg

Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	51536   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5395.jpg

Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	51537   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5396.jpg

Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	51538   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5397.jpg

Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	51539   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5398.jpg

Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	51540   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5399.jpg

Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	51541  

How old are you? If you're under 25 I'd be worried, looks like more than just a maturing hairline.

18. Why should I be worried and what makes you say that

1) I see clear temporal recession. Has your hair always been like that?
    2) There are miniturized hairs along your hairline. Not sure what your dermatologist was seeing :/

It is quite normal for a mans hairline to go from nw0 juvenile to slightly receded, but once there is miniaturization on the hairline and the temple recession is getting deeper, it is a bad sign.

You say you have family history of hairloss, which puts the odds even more towards you having mpb right now.

Sorry man not trying to be a downer I just remember being 19 and seeing my temples recede and thinking nothing of it, then a year down the road there was a bit of thinning, then another year i noticed even more recession and some crown thinning, until finally I decided to treat it and get on fin. If only I'd have taken it sooner I would have more hair today.

Your 18 and your hair is decent so you still got some time to do your research before you make a decision. Don't rush just read the forums, ask questions, talk to your doctor etc and keep a very close eye on your hair.

Both dermotologists saw that the hairs were shorter but did not see minutrization of the follical or thinning going on. They said to keep on eye on it. I will say the pictures i sent to you were not really the best representation... They definietly don't fully look like me and the selfie cam on the phone tends to make things look different than IRL. I'm seeing my dermo, a different one, in a month or 2 and will ask him to check. I can send some more pictures... and isn't it normal for the temples to recede some, like you said? This could just be my hairline maturing, which looks like MPB, but it could just stop, too soon to tell yes?

Did your dermatologist use a trichology tool to measure the density of your hair? If not, their opinion is useless. Dermatologists are far from hairloss experts. By the time you actually notice miniturization the hairs have generally lost 50% or more of their thickness. It is not the type of thing you can just eyeball and be sure of.

If she/he used the proper tools, measured your hairline density and compares it to the hair on the back of your head, you have nothing to worry about.

However, I doubt they did this.

Doctor Representative

There's nothing in the pictures that'd suggest to me that you're losing hair or experiencing miniaturization- but then again there aren't any 'before' pictures to compare them with. You say that your hairline is perfect and see no signs of recession, thinning, etc. and if multiple dermatologists measured your hair density and saw nothing concerning either, I'm not sure why you're still worried! When you say you feel like there are early signs of hair loss, what do you mean by that?

Best I think you can do for now is learn the signs of hair loss, stay observant, and take pictures every few months to look for inconsistencies. There's not really any reason to worry unless you begin seeing visible changes, in which case you can consider further preventative measures.
    Last edited by Kyle Kneeland; 04-06-2017 at 02:30 PM. Reason: spellcheck
    I am a representative for Dr. Sean Behnam in Los Angeles, CA.
    My opinions are my own.

Hi I was just wondering is my hairline receding and going bold or is it a mature hairline? I am 28 nearly 29 years old and I worry I am going bold if anyone can help I would appreciate it the feedback.

Cheers,

Joshua
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201224-034304_Gallery.jpg

Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	69427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201224-034254_Gallery.jpg

Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	69428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201224-034231_Gallery.jpg

Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	69429