+ Reply to Thread

Default [27] Not sure if balding or double cowlick or just whatever else

Hi all,

first time poster - been under a lot of stress over the last year and half at work and not sure if it's just anxiety getting the better of me and started to freak out.

http://imgur.com/a/ERSUx

Dad has a full head of hair, don't really know about grandparents.

Don't know if balding, double cowlick or my hair just sits like that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

A

Looks pretty dang normal to me....

Hi all,

5 months update.

No noticeable change in the cowlick, but seems like my temples are receding, or there is some visible miniaturisation. Also noticed a lot more hair in the shower, altho maybe it's just because I started paying attention.

Really don't know if this is start of MPB, or already in process or it's just in my head.

http://imgur.com/a/cIp9V

Any views, help would be really appreciated, it's just still on the back of my mind and not going away (which probably doesn't help at all)

Thanks,

A

Doctor Representative

It does look like there is some minor recession going on in the temples. Crown still looks good though. Since you're 27 it's pretty unlikely this is a maturing hairline and you're probably just seeing the start of male pattern baldness. I'd see a dermatologist, they can look and tell you what degree of miniaturization you have and possible prescribe you minoxidil/finasteride depending on the severity. If for whatever reason it stopped receding there, I think it would look perfectly fine. Good luck!
    I am a representative for Dr. Sean Behnam in Los Angeles, CA.
    My opinions are my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Kneeland View Post
    It does look like there is some minor recession going on in the temples. Crown still looks good though. Since you're 27 it's pretty unlikely this is a maturing hairline and you're probably just seeing the start of male pattern baldness. I'd see a dermatologist, they can look and tell you what degree of miniaturization you have and possible prescribe you minoxidil/finasteride depending on the severity. If for whatever reason it stopped receding there, I think it would look perfectly fine. Good luck!
    Why does the fact he's 27 not mean that it's a maturing hairline? 25-30 is usually to common age in which men develop a type 2 hairline for

Doctor Representative

Quote Originally Posted by Jackito View Post
    Why does the fact he's 27 not mean that it's a maturing hairline? 25-30 is usually to common age in which men develop a type 2 hairline for
    It certainly can happen around 25-30 but a maturing hairline is most common in the late teens or early 20s. 'Pretty unlikely' may have been too strong of a word choice on my behalf but at 27 I still think it's more likely to see the start of regular male pattern baldness than it is to see the start of a maturing hairline. Based on what I've seen, 24/25 seems to be the 'tipping point' where recession is more likely to be MPB and less likely to be hairline maturation.
    My opinions are my own.

Thank you both for inputs. From what I can tell, the temples have been in the same/similar state for at least a year (judging by some of the photos of me)

@Kyle, could you please see the temple photos from the original post (back in April) Would you say there's been a change in temples since?
    http://imgur.com/a/ERSUx

@Jackito, what's your view?

Thanks again guys, more views appreciated

Doctor Representative

I can't really tell based on those photos but it looks like there may be a slight difference? But it could easily be the difference in lighting that's causing them to look different. Honestly you're the best person to know whether or not your hair is thinning since you see it everyday and can take as many pictures as is necessary to tell. A dermatologist could look to see if you have thin areas which can help determine if you're actively receding or not, too. If you are losing hair still it's certainly pretty slow, which is definitely a good thing!
    My opinions are my own.

Hi All,

One year update, and one year older as well.

Barber confirmed what I originally thought, double cowlick, also advised that hair not thinning (altho maybe he just really doesn't want to lose me as a customer)

I think crown didn't really changed, but I think temples are thinning (wouldn't say that at a rapid rate tho?), not sure if it's just a natural aging, or MPB.

Overall, it definitely doesn't help that I'm a naturally anxious person, checking my hairline became a really, really annoying daily habit.

https://imgur.com/a/xpgg5

Views and opinions are welcome.

Thanks,

A