Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jackjohn12
    • Dec 2016

I think baking soda permanently destroyed my hair

About 2.5 years ago I washed my hair with about 3 table spoons of baking soda. The second I washed it, my hair got completely fried. Became insanely thin instantly, wirey, very dry, lifeless. Hair is diffuse thinning, while I have noticed the crown and temples are slightly thinner. Im thinking it either completely destroyed my hair permanently, diffuse male pattern baldness or chronic telogen effluvium. I have had my blood checked multiple times, seen multiple derms who know nothing. While this did happen about 6 months after my last accutane pill, I first thought it was that but when looking back on it. My hair was completely destroyed from the baking soda.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5321.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	482152Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5332.jpg
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	482153Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5323.jpg
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	482154
  • alapopaeric40
    • Mar 2017

When you tried using the baking soda on your hair, did you balance out the baking soda with some vinegar? I think that might have saved you some trouble back then. I'm very sorry to hear what you've gone through. I've been also experiencing a receding hairline now and found this forum to get some help with my problem.

Comment

• ShinjiKa
      • Oct 2016

wow

Comment

• jackjohn12
        • Dec 2016

I forgot to use the vinegar but its been 2 years. Everyone has been saying there no possible way baking soda could have permanently damaged my hair and left me with diffuse thinning

Comment

• jackjohn12
          • Dec 2016

Originally posted by ShinjiKa
          wow
          do you think its possible

Comment

• jackjohn12
            • Dec 2016

Originally posted by alapopaeric40
            When you tried using the baking soda on your hair, did you balance out the baking soda with some vinegar? I think that might have saved you some trouble back then. I'm very sorry to hear what you've gone through. I've been also experiencing a receding hairline now and found this forum to get some help with my problem.
            forgot to use ACV.

Comment

• Louish
              • Aug 2015

Why would you wash your hair with baking soda....

Comment

• Notgivingup2
                • Aug 2016

This might just be the weirdest thread I've ever seen on this site...

Comment

• HarpreetSingh
                  • Apr 2017

I also have read the story that using baking soda for washing hair helps to avoid premature grey hair.

Comment

• BaldBearded
                    • Jan 2017

How is that AT ALL POSSIBLE? Grey hair is from GENETICS... it's the melanin.

Keratin is the protein that makes up our hair, skin, and nails. Throughout the years, melanocyctes continue to inject pigment into the hair's keratin, giving it a colorful hue. With age comes a reduction of melanin. The hair turns gray and eventually white.

Comment

• jackjohn12
                      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by BaldBearded
                      How is that AT ALL POSSIBLE? Grey hair is from GENETICS... it's the melanin.

Keratin is the protein that makes up our hair, skin, and nails. Throughout the years, melanocyctes continue to inject pigment into the hair's keratin, giving it a colorful hue. With age comes a reduction of melanin. The hair turns gray and eventually white.
                      i just dont understand my hair was very thick, one day I showered using baking soda in my hair. Immediately after my hair was insanely thin diffusely and never stopped and its been 2 years. I assumed accutane to be the cause as every doctor denies baking soda can do this.... Do u have any idea.

Comment

• Louish
                        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by jackjohn12
                        i just dont understand my hair was very thick, one day I showered using baking soda in my hair. Immediately after my hair was insanely thin diffusely and never stopped and its been 2 years. I assumed accutane to be the cause as every doctor denies baking soda can do this.... Do u have any idea.
                        Keratin is at it's peak strength at a pH of around 4. At that pH HCO3 will act as a base thus weakening the différents bonds in the Keratin fiber. So yeah it does that...Why it's doesn't seem to get better now that I can't tell you.

Comment

• pkipling
                          Inactive
                          • Sep 2014

Aside from the fact that I don't think there's any chance baking soda on your hair can have longterm effects on your hair at the root, I also don't see any signs whatsoever of you having thin, brittle, weak hair. I think you're fine, dude....

Comment

• onegolusingh
                            • May 2019

hair transpalnt surgery

Hair transplant in Ludhiana
                            Getting rid of baldness is not easy sometimes we try all the medications but still if the hair loss is due to genetic then i don't think it would be recover and for this the only one simple proven solution exist is hair transplant.
                            Currently we are offering Hair Transplant Services in Ludhiana at very low cost. You can easily get FUE Hair Transplant treatment at reasonable price.

S.C.O-7, First Floor, Phase 1 Road, Main Market, Urban Estate Dugri, Ludhiana, Punjab 141003
                            Phone: +918146989051

Comment

• onegolusingh
                              • May 2019

hair transpalnt in ludhiana

Hair transplant in Ludhiana
                              Getting rid of baldness is not easy sometimes we try all the medications but still if the hair loss is due to genetic then i don't think it would be recover and for this the only one simple proven solution exist is hair transplant.
                              Currently we are offering Hair Transplant Services in Ludhiana at very low cost. You can easily get FUE Hair Transplant treatment at reasonable price.

S.C.O-7, First Floor, Phase 1 Road, Main Market, Urban Estate Dugri, Ludhiana, Punjab 141003
                              Phone: +918146989051

Comment

Working...