+ Reply to Thread

Default Pulling on a hairpiece

My hair has been thinning since about 17/18 and I'm about to turn 20. I've been considering a hairpiece (not decided what type - my receding hairline doesn't bother me nearpy as much as the crown so possibly just a crown piece) now that hiding it is becoming more and more difficult to hide (although people may already know, tbh, they might just be being polite).
    One of the main things holding me back, other than money, is that I do a variety of martial arts. The main worry, in particular, is that in one of these, people like to throw those with longer hair (pretty much anything four inches or more - mine is definitely, and hopefully will be even if I get a piece, longer than that) by yanking on their hair. It's effective but I worry about the possibility of the piece being pulled off.
    Another worry is that when I do HEMA, we wear fencing masks and I don't know how that would potentially affect a piece - they rub a lot and I sweat a lot when wearing it.

TLR - how do pieces fare against hair pulling and rubbing, as well as any other sports like swimming, too.

Thanks for any advice you can give

Quote Originally Posted by The fool View Post
    My hair has been thinning since about 17/18 and I'm about to turn 20. I've been considering a hairpiece (not decided what type - my receding hairline doesn't bother me nearpy as much as the crown so possibly just a crown piece) now that hiding it is becoming more and more difficult to hide (although people may already know, tbh, they might just be being polite).
    One of the main things holding me back, other than money, is that I do a variety of martial arts. The main worry, in particular, is that in one of these, people like to throw those with longer hair (pretty much anything four inches or more - mine is definitely, and hopefully will be even if I get a piece, longer than that) by yanking on their hair. It's effective but I worry about the possibility of the piece being pulled off.
    Another worry is that when I do HEMA, we wear fencing masks and I don't know how that would potentially affect a piece - they rub a lot and I sweat a lot when wearing it.

TLR - how do pieces fare against hair pulling and rubbing, as well as any other sports like swimming, too.

Thanks for any advice you can give
    could you post your hairline? i'v never heard of a 20yo with a hair piece.

as a general rule, if you're not >NW4 you don't need it.
    i assume you're just thinning, in which case you should probably go for hair fiber products like Toppik, Caboki, ...

Don't you think hair fiber products contribute to the thinning of your hair? (Even if you wash it daily, keep up your meds and apply minox everyday). I'm a 21 years old boy, and I've been using Caboki (and now Toppik cause its cheaper but worse sadly), and I think it has been getting quite worse, sure the thinning will keep on as we get older but do you think those products can make things worse?

Hopefully it doesn't since hair doesn't really "breathe", just wondering if those small particles on top of your scalp can become a big no-no after using for extended amounts of time.