+ Reply to Thread

Default 26 y/o NW5 - Transplants and Systems

I’m a 26-year-old NW5 seeking advice on hair transplantation and hair systems.

I began losing hair at 18 and it has been a rather fast process. I have never abused drugs, steroids, etc.---it’s hereditary, premature baldness is present on both sides of my family. I have yet to find a permanent, workable solution to my issue. Rather than shave my head, I have been combining a gelled combover with hair fibers. This has not stopped me from getting dates, but clearly this is not a permanent solution. Furthermore, as I progress into NW6 or NW7 not even this will be an option.

I have done quite a bit of research on the best hair loss solutions---things such as finasteride, minoxidil, transplantation, micropigmentation, hair systems, etc. I tried minoxidil early on and every single time I embarked on a regimen would have bumpy skin irritation where I was applying it. I ruled out finasteride due to the many horror stories surrounding it. I have ruled out micropigmentation as a solution for myself.

That leaves me with transplantation and hair systems. With transplantation, candidacy and cost are the two biggest factors. With hair systems, finding a credible, long-lasting, affordable system is the issue. Here are my two questions:

Transplantation Question: Can someone who has had a successful transplant (preferably someone who was NW4 or NW5) offer guidance on candidacy, managing cost, and finding the best surgeon?
    Hair System Question: Can someone who wears or has worn a system offer guidance on finding a system that is undetectable, versatile (I can exercise and swim in it), and affordable? Frankly the hair system market is like the Wild West---dozens of sites and providers with a range of opinions and reviews.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your guidance with managing this frustrating problem!

Quote Originally Posted by ilembe View Post
    I’m a 26-year-old NW5 seeking advice on hair transplantation and hair systems.

I began losing hair at 18 and it has been a rather fast process. I have never abused drugs, steroids, etc.---it’s hereditary, premature baldness is present on both sides of my family. I have yet to find a permanent, workable solution to my issue. Rather than shave my head, I have been combining a gelled combover with hair fibers. This has not stopped me from getting dates, but clearly this is not a permanent solution. Furthermore, as I progress into NW6 or NW7 not even this will be an option.

I have done quite a bit of research on the best hair loss solutions---things such as finasteride, minoxidil, transplantation, micropigmentation, hair systems, etc. I tried minoxidil early on and every single time I embarked on a regimen would have bumpy skin irritation where I was applying it. I ruled out finasteride due to the many horror stories surrounding it. I have ruled out micropigmentation as a solution for myself.

That leaves me with transplantation and hair systems. With transplantation, candidacy and cost are the two biggest factors. With hair systems, finding a credible, long-lasting, affordable system is the issue. Here are my two questions:

Transplantation Question: Can someone who has had a successful transplant (preferably someone who was NW4 or NW5) offer guidance on candidacy, managing cost, and finding the best surgeon?
    Hair System Question: Can someone who wears or has worn a system offer guidance on finding a system that is undetectable, versatile (I can exercise and swim in it), and affordable? Frankly the hair system market is like the Wild West---dozens of sites and providers with a range of opinions and reviews.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your guidance with managing this frustrating problem!
    What norwood are you currently? Put up some pics. 100% you NEED to get on finasteride, only two 2% get even medium severity side effects and I've been on it for a while now and it's fine. I actually feel happier now that I'm taking it rather than constantly THINKING about taking it. It's a bad idea to get a transplant (especially as a norwood 4 or 5) without it.

Quote Originally Posted by ilembe View Post
    I have worn for 10 years. I workout 7 days/week.....1 1/2 hours including 40 minutes of hard cardio. Today I also did a 30 minute freestyle swim. Zero issues EVER with workouts.
    The hair system market IS NOT the wild wild west if you are willing to do some reading. See included links. Everything you could possibly want to know is there.....IF you are willing to read.
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/67893...o+help+newbies
    http://www.hairdirect.com/resources/default.aspx
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/678938