+ Reply to Thread

Default 24 years old, am I balding?

Hi all. 24 M - Asian. Family history of MPB (Paternal). Dad is 56, NW5.

It started with a hole in my hairline on the left temple. Then I started noticing more strands of hair falling out while shampooing and while styling my hair. On certain days, I will find 10-15 strands of hair in the lather on my hand after shampooing (pretty sure there are more that just get rinsed down the drain). When styling my hair, I usually drop another 5 strands. I can also feel my entire head of hair getting thinner.

Album shows photos now after coming out of the shower with a comparison photo of my hairline from 3 years back.

http://imgur.com/a/JXzp7

My questions are:
    • How many strands do I have to shed for me to be considered shedding?
    • Am I suffering from MPB? Or is this regular maturing hairline?

Another factor to note is that I changed my hairstyle roughly 9 months ago; started combing my hair up into a pompadour. Could my hair loss be caused by me combing my hair up?

Getting really paranoid. Friends and family say I look fine. But I feel like the balding is quite noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by jcloss92 View Post

It started with a hole in my hairline on the left temple. Then I started noticing more strands of hair falling out while shampooing and while styling my hair. On certain days, I will find 10-15 strands of hair in the lather on my hand after shampooing (pretty sure there are more that just get rinsed down the drain). When styling my hair, I usually drop another 5 strands. I can also feel my entire head of hair getting thinner.

Album shows photos now after coming out of the shower with a comparison photo of my hairline from 3 years back.

My questions are:

Another factor to note is that I changed my hairstyle roughly 9 months ago; started combing my hair up into a pompadour. Could my hair loss be caused by me combing my hair up?

Getting really paranoid. Friends and family say I look fine. But I feel like the balding is quite noticeable.
    It's normal to lose between sixty and one hundred hairs a day. Your hair looks like it's in good shape. There doesn't
    seem to be any temple recession.

Quote Originally Posted by jcloss92 View Post

My questions are:

Can't be sure because of the wet hair but I think you might have Androgenic Alopecia. Go see a dermatologist

Here are some images of my hair after it has dried. My hair is very long now so it gives the illusion that i have thick hair but it's actually significantly thinner than it used to be.

http://imgur.com/a/c97oE

Also, I've heard of another condition called telogen effluvium. How do you differentiate telogen effluvium from male pattern baldness?

You want me honest opinion? I think you have Androgenic Alopecia, but you should go see a dermatologist to be sure.
    I don't know much about Telogen Effluvium, but if you have that then you lose hair from all over your scalp and not like the MPB.