+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Unhappy Shedding after taking Saw Palmetto

So I recently got capsules ( just 160 mgsaw palmetto + vitamins) online. Just a day after taking my first capsule, my scalp started to itch from time to time, and now 2 days later I'm shedding heavily. I applied my usual minoxidil in the morning, and after a few hours noticed my scalp was VERY dry. My skin was coming off and when i rubbed my head, I couldn't believe how much dandruff started to get off along with a lot of hair.
    I got so scared, i took a shower and used Ketoconazole (2%), and even after that shower when I ran my hand over my head, hair came out which has never happened before. Most of these hairs were thin (miniaturised). Is that of any significance? Does this mean I'm a diffuse thinner + have MPB(I'm a NW1.5)?

I know there isn't much research for Saw palmetto, but it is known to be a DHT blocker and a lot of people use it. I've read from some reviews that there could be some shedding at first but i didn't think it would happen so soon and so much (easily more than 100+ hairs) that too while giving me an itchy, dry scalp; and this was just 160 mg of Saw Palmetto taken orally!
    Should i keep taking the supplements and hope to regrow what i lost or should I stop? (please don't tell me to do the later if you dismiss anything aside from the big 3)

https://www.*****************/intera...palmetto.2960/
    My hopes of Saw palmetto stopping HL are pretty much crushed after reading this; the type of 5AR it blocks isn't the one found in the scalp But I don't get all the reviews from people saying their HL stopped a few months after taking SP.

But that is in theory. Everywhere else I search, people say they started shedding AFTER stopping taking Saw Palmetto and that it had either slowed down or stopped their Hair Loss.
    Now I can't decide between whether or not I should continue with the SP supplements or if I should start applying SP extract topically. If I do see improvement, and if I ever stop, I'll shed more hair, like how it is with minoxidil and Propecia. I find of feel stuck with minoxidil now because i know I'll go from a NW1.5 to a NW2.5 (probably) if I stop, it's giving me side effects (irritation in eyes + puffiness under eyes). My hair looks like shit now and my confidence is going down

I can't believe it: I've lost so much hair now, i can actually see my scalp through my sparse hair It has never looked this worse and I'd never thought it would happen so quickly. I feel crushed

If i keep losing more hair I'll be completely bald on top in just a few weeks since my density was already low to begin with. I don't know why my HL is getting so aggressive

What questions do you have Rizaan? this is your thread and the appropriate place to ask questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizaan View Post
    If i keep losing more hair I'll be completely bald on top in just a few weeks since my density was already low to begin with. I don't know why my HL is getting so aggressive
    Get on the big 3 or lose your hair. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by JeanlucBergman View Post
    Get on the big 3 or lose your hair. Get over it.
    I have been on Minoxidil and Ketoconazole for 2 and a half years. I don't want to touch finesteride even though I'm aware it is the most potent of the 3.

I am wondering if my current shedding was due to telogen effluvium. I don't know much about it but could sudden itchy scalp, lots of dandruff and shedding be symptoms? I did have a stressful period about 4 months ago so I could be losing hair now because of that (based on what i learned about this condition through googling).
    Either that or I'm f*cked with my ALA suddenly getting very aggressive

Quote Originally Posted by HTsoon View Post
    What questions do you have Rizaan? this is your thread and the appropriate place to ask questions.
    I don't want to spend my youth balding and depressed with my HL, so i think it would be better to get a HT soon. I know I'd have to get more done in the future since I'll keep losing more hair, but I'll take that into consideration while getting my first one done. I am fine with an adult hairline (1.5 cm above the uppermost horizontal brow) and a slightly receded hairline. Also, I've had pretty low density for like 2 years now and most people couldn't tell because my natural hair isn't fine.
    I've narrowed down to one of the best HT surgeons in India, so that's not of a concern. I don't know when I can get the surgery done, but probably in my early 20s.

I also considered Hair Systems very recently since i started losing more hair. Earlier I wouldn't even think of it because it's "fake", but I'm desperate now. Do I have to shave my head on the top to use a hair system? What about using it after the HT(until the results) like you suggested?

Quote Originally Posted by Rizaan View Post
    Do I have to shave my head on the top to use a hair system? What about using it after the HT(until the results) like you suggested?
    I think YES, they need something to glue the piece to .

How 'bout postings pics of your current state . IT's probably not as bad as you make it seem