+ Reply to Thread

Default 21 years old - Asian mother and German dad unsure if I am balding

Ever since I cared about my looks when I was around 17 years old, I noticed that my hairline wasn't straight. My right corner always was 0.4cm higher and my left corner was looking alright. My forehead is around 4.9-5.1cm big in the middle section and 6cm in the left corner and 6.4ish cm on the right corner. It is driving me nuts that I could be balding and read multiple articles regarding male pattern baldness. Everywhere I read the same stuff like "mature hairline", "small recession is normal", "look at your maternal grandfather" and everyone's hairline changes between 17-29 years of age. Some are of the opinion that every slightest recession means you could go bald.. My mom is asian (filipina) and her family shows 0 signs of baldness, everyone has a good full head of hair. My dad on the other hand is bald, not completely though. He has a thick cul de sac with some hair here and there on top. My paternal grandfather wasn't bald and I don't have any paternal uncles, just an aunt which appears to have a thick head of hair in her 60s. He is german btw.
    The thing that got me into this subreddit was lighter hair on my left corner. I naturally have black hair (which apparently is a very dark brown since black doesn't really exist as a color), but multiple hair strands appear to be dark brown instead of black. I lose about 10-20 hair strands a day (I count and collect them one by one whenever I shower) which should be normal/low? I don't shed my hair at least in my opinion looks thick. The only bad thing is my hairline, but it never looked good when my head shaped during puberty. Also my head has a weird shape (narrow chin, my cheekbones are the widest part of my face and smaller forehead compared to my cheekbones) and I have a big brow ridge, almost like a neanderthal.
    I'll post some pictures for you to judge:

Crown/Hair whirl
    http://imgur.com/a/LB2Ul#x7L5Sul I didn't wash my hair for 2 days in the last picture + flash

Hairline
    http://imgur.com/a/VAMkK

Left and Right Temples(?)
    http://imgur.com/a/rQwad
    EDIT: In the first picture (red boxes) I used pomade and flash.

I haven't gone to a dermatologist yet and am scared to do so.

I had similar temples when I first started losing hair at 18, with the miniaturized hairs at the hairline. On my father's side my grand father was bald but my father isn't, he's about a NW2.5 even though he'll turn 60 this year. I don't know about my maternal grandfather since he passed away a very long time ago but my mother's brother is a NW4 (he's 55). Now normally one would assume there's a good chance I wouldn't suffer from MPB much less start losing hair since 18, but I guess family isn't always a good indicator and some of us are just unlucky.

I can't be sure you have MPB but you should go see a dermatologist. If you don't slow it down now, you'll regret it later, so stop being 'scared'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizaan View Post
    I had similar temples when I first started losing hair at 18, with the miniaturized hairs at the hairline. On my father's side my grand father was bald but my father isn't, he's about a NW2.5 even though he'll turn 60 this year. I don't know about my maternal grandfather since he passed away a very long time ago but my mother's brother is a NW4 (he's 55). Now normally one would assume there's a good chance I wouldn't suffer from MPB much less start losing hair since 18, but I guess family isn't always a good indicator and some of us are just unlucky.

I can't be sure you have MPB but you should go see a dermatologist. If you don't slow it down now, you'll regret it later, so stop being 'scared'.
    The thing is I am not losing hair/shedding and I have had the same hairline/temples since I was 16? As you can see my forehead looks weird from a profile view, it is kind of angled compared to normal people. My dad started losing his hair in his 30s, my grandfather did not. Everything perfect on my mom's side.. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Unsureaboutmyhair View Post
    The thing is I am not losing hair/shedding and I have had the same hairline/temples since I was 16? As you can see my forehead looks weird from a profile view, it is kind of angled compared to normal people. My dad started losing his hair in his 30s, my grandfather did not. Everything perfect on my mom's side.. :/
    Forget genetics, they're almost 100% irrelevant and it's impossible to know if you're balding on that basis. Also I am currently a norwood 3 but never had a period where I was "losing hair/shedding", it was just an incredibly slow process that put me off acting immediately.

I'd say with 95% certainty you're losing hair at your temples, but if you have any photos from when you were younger it would be useful. Definitely keep watch, and consider getting on the drug finasteride.

Quote Originally Posted by JeanlucBergman View Post
    Forget genetics, they're almost 100% irrelevant and it's impossible to know if you're balding on that basis. Also I am currently a norwood 3 but never had a period where I was "losing hair/shedding", it was just an incredibly slow process that put me off acting immediately.

I'd say with 95% certainty you're losing hair at your temples, but if you have any photos from when you were younger it would be useful. Definitely keep watch, and consider getting on the drug finasteride.
    This one is from 8 minutes ago exactly.

This one is from 4 years(!) ago. My hair is usually styled forward since I like fluffy emo hairstyles, so you can't really see my hairline that much.

My temples really didn't change much at all imo, it is just my ****ed up right corner frustrating me. It always has been the right corner of the hairline.
    I even measured the size of my forehead in the right corner again, because of my paranoia - 6.2cm
    Left corner around 5.8cm

Everyone doesn't "shed" hair from their scalp. For some, it just starts with gradual recession of the hairline, for some other unlucky guys like me it's a combination of a receding hairline and shedding.

Quote Originally Posted by Unsureaboutmyhair View Post
    This one is from 8 minutes ago exactly.

This one is from 4 years(!) ago. My hair is usually styled forward since I like fluffy emo hairstyles, so you can't really see my hairline that much.

My temples really didn't change much at all imo, it is just my ****ed up right corner frustrating me. It always has been the right corner of the hairline.
    I even measured the size of my forehead in the right corner again, because of my paranoia - 6.2cm
    Left corner around 5.8cm
    Dude if I were you I'd get on 0.25mg of finasteride and just keep that up for the rest of your life. It's like $50 a year and you'll never have to worry about hairloss for a long time.