+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Smoking and Baldness

Apologies if this has been covered before (I think it has been touched on in other forum threads), I'm only a very casual frequenter of this forum since I had a successful hair transplant, but this is something I've pondered for a long time.

I just read about a study from 2007 of men in asia which found a causal link between their baldness status and whether they were long-term users of tobacco.

This has long intrigued me from my own personal observations of my friends since high school. We're in our mid-30s now, and of my friends who never smoked cigarettes, none are bald or even balding. Of the six who have been tobacco smokers, including myself, all are either Norwood 7s, 6s, 5s or 4s - and I would be too were it not for an HT. (all but one of them no longer smokes, but all six were habitual tobacco users over a period of years).

Obviously this could well be coincidence, and equally obviously those who smoke are also more likely to live a generally unhealthy lifestyle, but I still find it intriguing. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or if Spencer has ever featured this on his show - I do vaguely remember something about it in his book, although at the time I told myself the traditional smoker's self-deception that this is always included in any advice about anything, ever

Is this topic still actual? I thought no one talks about it.

These things are horrible. No one wants to feel them on himself. It depends more on the doctor. The article you left could be valuable for someone who loves to read something like that. The best decision is to protect yourself. If someone is smoking, I'd suggest you quit it or switch on something more straightforward, like a vape. There are many types and categories of vapes, like heavy vapes and light ones or various fruits. If you love something which has a long life, you can check MTL tanks. It's an incredible thing to have in hand.

Smoking tobacco can potentially damage your hair follicles and increase your risk of developing hair loss. It may also cause oxidative stress and reduced blood flow to your hair follicles that may contribute to hair loss. It so happened that I worked on one project with the guys from https://writinguniverse.com/free-ess...raphic-design/ and wrote an article on the topic. As far as I know, smoking damages DNA, which can also affect the hair follicles damaging the hair at the root and the hair growth cycle. And such changes can cause early greying or lightening of the hair.

Quote Originally Posted by YaroK View Post
    Smoking tobacco can potentially damage your hair follicles and increase your risk of developing hair loss. It may also cause oxidative stress and reduced blood flow to your hair follicles that may contribute to hair loss. It so happened that I worked on one project with the guys from https://writinguniverse.com/free-ess...raphic-design/ and wrote an article on the topic. As far as I know, smoking damages DNA, which can also affect the hair follicles damaging the hair at the root and the hair growth cycle. And such changes can cause early greying or lightening of the hair.
    As I get older I am coming around more to the belief that lifestyle is quite a big contributor to baldness. When it happened to me, I just cursed genetics with every fibre of my being, but now I think that maybe my heavy smoking, drinking and appalling diet in my teenage years and 20s had a significant negative impact on my hair and my health generally (although still curse genetics).

Regret is a terrible thing. There is so much I should have done differently, but, I hated myself, and wanted to damage myself as much as possible.

Yeah btw last year I quit smoking for 3 months and caffeine too and my hair mysteriously regrew like if it was a teenagers‘, except for the diffuse deficits on top. Also growth speed was like 3x. I‘ve always been a heavy smoker and I‘m 100% sure it fuked up my hair and started the balding process before due time

Thank you for good post.

Quote Originally Posted by clee984 View Post
    Apologies if this has been covered before (I think it has been touched on in other forum threads), I'm only a very casual frequenter of this forum since I had a successful hair transplant, but this is something I've pondered for a long time.

I just read about a study from 2007 of men in asia which found a causal link between their baldness status and whether they were long-term users of tobacco.

This has long intrigued me from my own personal observations of my friends since high school. We're in our mid-30s now, and of my friends who never smoked cigarettes, none are bald or even balding. Of the six who have been tobacco smokers, including myself, all are either Norwood 7s, 6s, 5s or 4s - and I would be too were it not for an HT. (all but one of them no longer smokes, but all six were habitual tobacco users over a period of years).

Obviously this could well be coincidence, and equally obviously those who smoke are also more likely to live a generally unhealthy lifestyle, but I still find it intriguing. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or if Spencer has ever featured this on his show - I do vaguely remember something about it in his book, although at the time I told myself the traditional smoker's self-deception that this is always included in any advice about anything, ever
    thx for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by DHT Crusader View Post
    Yeah btw last year I quit smoking for 3 months and caffeine too and my hair mysteriously regrew like if it was a teenagers‘, except for the diffuse deficits on top. Also growth speed was like 3x. I‘ve always been a heavy smoker and I‘m 100% sure it fuked up my hair and started the balding process before due time
    Bro, for real? Did you get nauseous or dizzy when you smoked? Cause I feel exhausted immediately after I smoke the first cig of the day and I think it might has some to do with my hairloss issue

Yes, that was also the reason I got addicted to it, that "high". Seems like the majority doesnt get it. Now it just disgusts me tbh