+ Reply to Thread

Default FUE vs. FUT please advise

Hello,

I am a 39 yr old man who lives in the San Francisco Bay Area with Norwood 5 hair loss. I have attached some pics.

Based on my reading of posts on hair transplant forums and consultations with hair transplant surgeons (Tom Rosanelli in SF, Timothy Carman in San Diego, and Steve Gabel in OR), it seems like FUT (strip procedure) is the best choice. I am told it gives you the highest yield of follicles and most long-term success of those follicles. With FUT, the doctor looks at the strip under the scope and harvests the follicles under direct visualization (unlike FUE which is blind punch). Yes, you have a linear scar on the back of your head, but it is confined to one area and you can go back and have more work done in the future if needed (which is likely given my case).

Do the folks on this forum have any comments? If FUT is the way to go, who are the best surgeons in North America?

Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4423.jpg

Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	50957   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4417.JPG

Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	50958  

I had an FUT with Dr. Wong in Vancouver. Very good results and thin scar. Can't say if you'll have same but that was my experience. It takes a long time to materialize though.

ThinScalpSF,

I am told it gives you the highest yield of follicles and most long-term success of those follicles.
    FUT may have a slight edge with growth but it is not enough of an advantage that would make an aesthetic difference. This is assuming top shelf abilities and experience with both procedures. However, "long term success" of follicles is not dependent on the procedure. A graft is a graft and if it grows, it will continue to grow, for as long as it is genetically programmed to do so.

Yes, you have a linear scar on the back of your head, but it is confined to one area and you can go back and have more work done in the future if needed (which is likely given my case).
    You can go back to have more work with FUE as well. The difference is the total number of grafts that can be harvested without compromising your donor. The point of FUE is to move hair to the balding area without leaving a linear scar. Technically, all of the hair in your donor scar can be moved but the point is to do so without thinning the donor so much that it becomes see through at otherwise non see through lengths. The number of grafts removed for this to be an issue varies based on donor densities and hair color to scalp color ratios but you get the idea. The amount of hair and the number of strips you can have is limited by your laxity and how much laxity returns after each procedure.

Do you like short hair cuts and don't mind a linear scar? Get FUT. Want shorter haircuts and the idea of a linear scar is off putting. Get FUE. Both will serve you well depending on your goals.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTillman View Post

Do you like short hair cuts and don't mind a linear scar? Get FUT. Want shorter haircuts and the idea of a linear scar is off putting. Get FUE. Both will serve you well depending on your goals.
    Pretty much this^ the only other thing to consider is finances, in Europe FUE is pretty much on par with FUT in North America in terms of cost, however if you want to remain in the U.S. FUE will be much more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinScalpSF View Post
    Hello,

I am a 39 yr old man who lives in the San Francisco Bay Area with Norwood 5 hair loss. I have attached some pics.

Based on my reading of posts on hair transplant forums and consultations with hair transplant surgeons (Tom Rosanelli in SF, Timothy Carman in San Diego, and Steve Gabel in OR), it seems like FUT (strip procedure) is the best choice. I am told it gives you the highest yield of follicles and most long-term success of those follicles. With FUT, the doctor looks at the strip under the scope and harvests the follicles under direct visualization (unlike FUE which is blind punch). Yes, you have a linear scar on the back of your head, but it is confined to one area and you can go back and have more work done in the future if needed (which is likely given my case).

Do the folks on this forum have any comments? If FUT is the way to go, who are the best surgeons in North America?

Thank you!
    FUT has a better yield due to lower transection rates. If the surgeon does everything perfectly with FUE maybe it can be comparable, but statisitically speaking you are likely to get a better yield, in general with FUT.

If I were a Norwood 5 then I would get FUT and just not get a short haircut after doing it.