+ Reply to Thread

Default 25 years old and balding

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a 25 year old male dealing what I'm pretty certain is male pattern baldness. I distinctly remember the day I first noticed my hair was thinning 6-7 years ago. At the time, I had a massive curly head of hair going on and one night while in Austin TX with a friend, I noticed in a restaurant bathroom that something was changing on top of my head. My father and his father are both bald so I suppose I should have been more prepared for it, but I had been sporting the curly Afro and been so used to compliments from people that I suppose I was in denial about the possibility of it ever happening to me.

Like most guys Iv spent an unhealthy amount of time obsessing over it and scouring the internet for a cure. After a couple years I decided to buzz my hair down to a "2" believing that at least if my hair is really short it would decrease the amount of tension and possibly slow down the rate at which I was losing hair. Cutting my hair to this length every 2-3 weeks, getting enough rest to reduce stress levels, and washing it with Avalon organic s peppermint shampoo and conditioner has (I believe) resulted in my hair loss at least come to a crawl. If I had to estimate I'd say I'm a 2-2a on the norwood scale at this point.

Iv worked hard to get to the point where I can accept it for what it is and not agonize over it, but some of you can probably understand how hard t can be to maintain that perspective.

Iv decided I only have 3 real, viable options at this point.

1. Propecia/Proscar
    2. Hair transplant
    3. Just accept baldness

Iv already ruled out 2 because I don't think I will ever have that kind of money to spend on my hair and I hate the idea of going under the knife if I don't have to.

Iv avoided propecia until this point because iv heard all the horror stories. I'm starting to get the sense that these horror stories represent a very small proportion and iv decided to give it a second look.

Should I take propecia? I'd rather not hear anymore about the negative side effects. I'm more interested in learning these things:

1. Do I need to see a doctor about getting propecia?
    2. What's the most affordable means of getting propecia?
    3. Propecia or proscar?
    4. Has it worked for you?

I'm thinking about taking this drug for a time in hopes that some other treatment or cure comes along in the next 5 years or so. Here's to wishful thinking anyway.

Any help or comments are welcome and appreciated!

Alright bud, I'm new myself and younger than you, only 21! I've been on fin for 8months and I've been okay, I've lifted weights for years and competed as a bodybuilder so my testosterone levels are great had no libido side effects and fingers crossed it stays that way!

I'd say give it ago? See how you feel. I'm from the UK and did an online consultation with llyods (it's the generic propecia) exspenive but I was worried about using a cheaper version due to sides!

Best of luck mate

Quote Originally Posted by LWH01 View Post

3. Just accept baldness
    Ask most people who have had HT's that didn't necessarily turn out as planned and 3 would have been their option if they could redo.

Quote Originally Posted by JustShaveIt View Post
    Ask most people who have had HT's that didn't necessarily turn out as planned and 3 would have been their option if they could redo.

Never had a transplant. I'm never going to be a Norwood 2, because of my hairline.

But let me say this, I regrew so much density, and it was the Progesterone. Also, the liquid Finasteride has really done
    a lot for my hair regrowth.

Thanks for the response! Have you seen any sort of improvement since 8 months ago when you started?

Quote Originally Posted by JAYROBZ View Post
    Alright bud, I'm new myself and younger than you, only 21! I've been on fin for 8months and I've been okay, I've lifted weights for years and competed as a bodybuilder so my testosterone levels are great had no libido side effects and fingers crossed it stays that way!

I'd say give it ago? See how you feel. I'm from the UK and did an online consultation with llyods (it's the generic propecia) exspenive but I was worried about using a cheaper version due to sides!

Best of luck mate
    Thanks for the response!
    Have you seen any improvement since you started 8 months ago?

What's liquid finasteride? Benefits over finasteride as a tablet??

Yeah mate, under the bright lighting my hair looked thin, since I've been taking it, it looks a lot better, not so much on regrowth.. I'm in the gym 6 days a week so my testosterone is high, so I haven't any libido issues at all