26 y/o male - should I get a transplant or other options?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Knicks1990
    • Feb 2017

26 y/o male - should I get a transplant or other options?

Hi guys. I am 26 y/o and noticed my crown thinning about 2-3 years ago. Additionally I have experienced thinning all over so I could be described as a diffused thinner I believe. I went in for a consultation for a hair transplant and was quoted around $9k. The price is a bit steep and was wondering if I should try other options before committing to the hair transplant. At this point I have not tried any hair loss regimes other than Nizoral which I used for dandruff. I had gotten a prescription for Propecia but didn't start due to fear of sides that I might experience. Frankly, I would appreciate the advice of others who have been in the same situation.

Thank you very much.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Crown 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	481959Click image for larger version

Name:	Crown 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	481960
    Attached Files
  • JeanlucBergman
    • Nov 2016

Transplant for crown should be a last resort, and in your case it is not bald only thinned, so it is a BIG no no. A transplant will not be able to get a better look at your crown than you currently have. That doctor quoting $9k should be shot.

Judging by the very slow rate of your hairloss I think you would respond incredibly to treatments. Studies say only 2-5% of propecia 1mg users get side effects. If I were you I'd ease into it at 0.25mg per day, add in Nizoral 2% twice per week, and use a good minoxidil once or twice per day like Lipogaine. I held off Propecia at first signs of balding for 2 years and now am spending 12 grand on a transplant for the front in April to fix my mistake. When I finally did end up on propecia 0.25mg I have no side effects except mild ball tingle.Serious regrets about not starting earlier.

TLDR:

0.25mg propecia
    Lipogaine 1x PD
    Nizoral 2% 2x per week
    Regenepure NT 5x per week

NO TRANSPLANT

Comment

• Knicks1990
      • Feb 2017

Originally posted by JeanlucBergman
      Transplant for crown should be a last resort, and in your case it is not bald only thinned, so it is a BIG no no. A transplant will not be able to get a better look at your crown than you currently have. That doctor quoting $9k should be shot.

Judging by the very slow rate of your hairloss I think you would respond incredibly to treatments. Studies say only 2-5% of propecia 1mg users get side effects. If I were you I'd ease into it at 0.25mg per day, add in Nizoral 2% twice per week, and use a good minoxidil once or twice per day like Lipogaine. I held off Propecia at first signs of balding for 2 years and now am spending 12 grand on a transplant for the front in April to fix my mistake. When I finally did end up on propecia 0.25mg I have no side effects except mild ball tingle.Serious regrets about not starting earlier.

TLDR:

0.25mg propecia
      Lipogaine 1x PD
      Nizoral 2% 2x per week
      Regenepure NT 5x per week

NO TRANSPLANT
      Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. I will be getting a prescription of Propecia this week. I think the hair transplant is just overkill at this point and will definitely like to try out treatment before as I can always get a transplant down the road. Additionally I have read that using rogaine and propecia together yields good results for the crown so I will give it a shot!

Comment

Working...