+ Reply to Thread

Default New Here - Dealing with some sudden hair thinning and would really appreciate advice

Hello All! *I'm new here and I'm hoping I can get some good advice. *I'm 51 years old and have always had VERY thick and full hair with little to no recession. *This to the point of people commenting on how crazy thick my hair is. *There is not a lot of history of hair loss in my family. *My father never lost any hair, and both of my brothers (older) still have full heads of hair as well. *However, I and my father did gray quite prematurely.

Recently (perhaps a little bit over the last year, but the last couple of months more noticeably) I have noticed an overall thinning of my head hair and the ends of my eyebrows have thinned as well - not very much recession but more just overall thinning. *I have done some internet research, but not quite sure what to make of it all. *

I had my most recent annual bloodwork done about two weeks ago. *Thyroid function appears to be normal. *However, my testosterone was low and my estradiol was high. *I suspect the elevated estradiol and low testosterone (despite being on a compounded testosterone cream) could be caused by excessive alcohol consumption in recent years. *Also, my doctor switched me from Crestor to Lipitor last November and I recently found out that Lipitor has been reported as causing hair loss. *Since my cholesterol numbers are now quite excellent, I stopped the Lipitor about two weeks ago.

1. *Has anyone else heard about Lipitor and hair loss? *Could this be the primary factor? *How long after stopping the Lipitor while I see a difference?
    2. *I have read that elevated estradiol/estrogen in the blood with men can lead to elevated levels of DHT and cause hair loss. *Anyone else hear this? *
    3. *Any other ideas and does anyone know if these conditions are reversible?

Thank you in advance for your input.