+ Reply to Thread

Default QUITTING FINASTERIDE - advice on how to AVOID crash please! Major anxiety.

Hey guys,

This is my first post here. I am coming from a place of baaaad anxiety these past few days. I am 23, have hair loss, and went to a popular London hair loss clinic to see if they could help. I had heard about finasteride and minoxidil but really didn't know much.

The lady I saw prescribed me both minoxidil and finasteride. She told me that some men experience sexual side effects, but that continued treatment usually makes them go away, and all patients at the clinic who stop have side effects go away completely. She DID NOT mention post finasteride syndrome and I had NO IDEA it existed. I trusted her..

So I take finasteride for five days in total. First 2 days everything is fine.

Day 3-5, sexual sides kick in for the first time in my life. Weak erection, weak orgasm, loss of libido. Testicles moving in and out my body. Also, strangely, felt bloated (may be unrelated).

I thought **** this and stopped (a week ago today) - I also for the first time googled all my symptoms and learnt about a potential ENDOCRINE CRASH. I have been living in a state of ongoing anxiety and stress since then.

The side effects went away the day after stopping, but I have read of men getting permanent sides returning 2-6 weeks after sides subside. I literally can't believe that this drug is available.

I know it's too soon to know, but I can't deal with this fear everyday for the next two months - will I crash? The stories I have read are literally terrifying. I had NO IDEA about this 'permanent' risk.

So my question is: what can I do now, to minimise this risk? I thought 5 days I would be ok, some men report post finasteride syndrome after a single dose.

I read that I should avoid alcohol. Not sure how long for though.

When will I know that I have safely not crashed and things are ok?

Has anyone quit finasteride and NOT suffered a crash? I have read so much scary **** that I need some reassurance.

The anxiety I feel now is 100x worse than how I have ever felt about thinning hair.

Thanks for any responses.

I'm not trying to troll or be mean, but you sound like the type to be extremely anxious and prone to mental and panic issues. 99% of people who quit don't crash. Go for a jog, get some sunlight, eat something you enjoy, do something you enjoy. Relax. You'll be 100% fine. There is no medical study or evidence to suggest endocrine crash is actually possible after finasteride. It doesn't make any medical sense. Most people on propecia help are morons quite frankly.

Forget about it and stop taking it, move on with your life and you'll be fine. You can add a weaker anti-androgen like saw palmetto, use a high quality minoxidil with DHT blockers like lipogaine, also nizoral shampoo with 2% keto (active ingredient) will help your hair. There are knockoff cheap laser caps for a few hundred from China on ebay that are exactly the same as the expensive ones and they might help a little too.

You're not trolling, I know that this is causing me more anxiety than a lot of guys who get sides and quit. Thanks for reassuring me, though I am sure the post finasteride crash does exist, even if it hasn't been researched yet.

Also, thanks for the tips. The minoxidil she gave me has azelaic acid in it also. Will continue with this!