+ Reply to Thread

Default What's a good pill splitter?

I need one that can cut pills into fourth's. What do you guys recommend?

At Walgreens, an employee said that the walgreens one they sell is the same one they use when they have to chop pills.

I'm sure there might be better ones out there, but this one was only around 5$ and the fact that it uses a lid to cut the pill straight down to ensure an accurate cut, instead of using a "exacto-knife" type of cutter was good enough for me.

Cutting the proscar pills are an art lol, it takes practice.

Quote Originally Posted by StayStrongMen View Post
    At Walgreens, an employee said that the walgreens one they sell is the same one they use when they have to chop pills.

I'm sure there might be better ones out there, but this one was only around 5$ and the fact that it uses a lid to cut the pill straight down to ensure an accurate cut, instead of using a "exacto-knife" type of cutter was good enough for me.

Cutting the proscar pills are an art lol, it takes practice.
    Are you using this to cut proscar pills? Is it easy to screw it up? Don't want to waste the pills. Any tips? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Adam4210 View Post
    Are you using this to cut proscar pills? Is it easy to screw it up? Don't want to waste the pills. Any tips? :P
    Yes, I was on propecia for 4 months but recently switched to proscar almost a month ago as it is much cheaper and suprisingly is covered by my insurance. I'm not sure how much longer I can pull off the "23 yr old with prostate issues" gig though lol.

Here's my experience so far. The proscar I use looks like this:

Compared to Merck proscar which I believe looks like this:

So since mine are more of a rectangular shape, I first cut it in half, and then will cut each half into 2, parallel to the first cut. If I had the merck pill, maybe slicing a pill once vertically and slicing each half horizontally would make more sense.

With the cutter I use, you can stand from a bird's eye view and see where you are slicing the pill as you shut the slicing lid. If it looks like you are not going to split the pill evenly as you shut the lid, I stop and re-adjust the pill. Sometimes I will do this a often before a single slice to ensure a good cut.

I do reccomend not cutting all the pills at once, and only cutting one pill when you need a new 4-day supply the day before. (although it probably doesn't matter, I find doing this may prevent keeping the insides of the pill from spilling out)

I also wouldn't fret about the inside bits of the pill from spilling, as it's inevitable. The way I see it, if each half is 1.25mg fin, then you are still getting 1.00+mg fin even after the spilling. (And very little spills out anyway, it's marginal and you likely still get all 1.25 worth)

Once you get the hang of it, it will become routine and not a big deal at all. I make it a game to see how accurate I can cut the pills into 1/4. Good luck!

So I'm in the same place. I used to get the heart shaped ones and now I have the caplet shaped ones.

My suggestions:
    1) Don't precut them all ahead of time. This way if you get a piece too large one day you'll get its sister "too small" piece the next day and it should equal out. If you precut them all you may have a week of the "too larges" followed by a week of the too smalls which wouldn't be good.

2) Consider just cutting in half and taking half ever other day. I actually cut in half and take half M/W/F and have been doing so for a few years. That way you are getting 7.5 units over 7 days which is really close to the 1 unit per day propecia is. I didn't notice any hair changes when I switched from cutting the heart shapes into 4 pieces. I think I got this idea from the show but wouldn't swear to that. Seems like a good question for someone to call in anyway.

All my opinions above clearly. I'm not a Dr or even close to one.