+ Reply to Thread

Default Hello everyone, I'm new here ......

Hello everyone! I'm new here and have been thinking about a HT for quite a while but never acted on it. To me it my loss was acceptable in my 30's and 40's and figured by the time I was 50 I wouldn't care about it anymore. Boy was I wrong! Now my thoughts are to do it. But when I think about it I go through 2 different emotions. One says "yes! Do it"! And the other one says "No you can't do this! are you crazy"! I guess I came here for maybe some support to do this cause this is where the support is.........
    I've read in forums that one should research many doctors before making a decision. Or to fly to many different restorers and talk with them and find out which is the best. I would think this is pointless because I would guess that they all will show you their best results and not show any bad ones. Would going to see them be any better than visiting their Websites? I live in Wisconsin and been researching Dr. Christopher A. Gencheff and Dr. Ron Shapiro both about the same distance from my home 300 miles away......
    The real thing that is holding me back is fear of a transplant not taking or one that has gone bad. I always though if worst came to worst I could always shave my head. But is a Ht goes wrong shaving my head would no longer be an option. Do any of these doctors offer a guarantee for these procedures?

Welcome to the forum syrus. It’s smart to take your time and ask lots of questions and luckily you found the the most respected hair restoration forum to start doing some real research. When it comes to hair transplantation there are no guarantees. The most important thing to do is to choose the right surgeon who has a long standing track record. It’s becoming common knowledge that you should start your search by going to www.iahrs.org to find a qualified hair transplant surgeon. I don’t see Dr. Christopher Gencheff listed on the site so I would personally rule him out. Dr. Ron Shapiro has a stellar reputation and if he’s close to you he would be my first choice. I also see a Dr. Reese on the IAHRS who is in the same area so you could consider having a consultation with both doctors before you make your choice. I think if you stick with the best known surgeons you should be just fine.

As Winston said, the best thing you can do is take your time and do your research. You'll likely become more comfortable with the idea the more you read and the more results you see.

I would definitely suggest you opt for a doctor who specializes in FUE; this way you will not be left with a linear scar if you wish to shave your head or wear your hair very short. FUE can leave small white marks where the follicular units were removed (hypopigmentation) but this is virtually undetectable if you cut or buzz your hair to any length.

Many doctors offer free online consultations but I think one of the reasons posters recommend you visit the clinics is so that you get an actual "feel" for the office, staff, and the sincerity and competence of the doctor.

How far along is your hair loss and what areas did you want to have work on?

I’m not sure if FUE is for everyone, but CIT girl does make some good points. I don’t think you can shave your head completely with FUE either though so I would not go into the surgery thinking that if it doesn't work out I’ll just shave my head. You’ll have scars no matter what you do.

Thank you every one for your replies. I hear that a lot to go to several clinics and check them out in person, but not really sure what good that would. First being if I'm going to spend 10k on a Ht I can't afford to spend another 5-10k traveling around the country checking clinics, Also I'm sure they all show their best work to potential patients and never show the bad ones. Why is FUE not for everyone DELPHI? And about shaving my head and the scar, I figure I could put a cool tribal tattoo over top of it to cover it up :-) ............Syrus

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Default Hi Syrus Im new here as well and..

i came here with the same intentions as you. My hair loss thru my 30s-40s wasn't any problem. It seems that once i turned 47 my hair loss began to take a severe change. High blood pressure meds along with the stress of divorce and loss of career/business probably had a lot to do with it. There is a SHARP contrast to my hair of 2004 to the present. I cant leave this apartment with out some type of head wear now. Being that i live in Chicago il. we are sort of neighbors Syrus. In addition to be educated here at this great site maybe we can keep each other informed regionally speaking. I have been thinking of flying out to one of Dr Rassman's 'open houses' in San Jose Ca. in which you can meet with previous patients and see the work first hand. Of course i'd prefer a Dr who is close. You mentioned Dr. Christopher Gencheff and Dr. Ron Shapiro. How did you come across them? At any rate look forward to hearing from you and to exploring this forum,,A

From what I understand Dr. Christopher Gencheff is retired but Dr. Ron Shapiro is my best choice for my area this is his website below. I learned of these 2 doctors form "Hair Transplant Network " forum but for some reason I can't get on that forum now. There should be some very qualified doctors in the Chicago area. Might be worth checking out......

http://www.shapiromedical.com/

Default Thanks Syrus

They have an impressive site. Yes Chicago has a few im sure,,but hey its all word of mouth. I guess i could ask in topic at the forums specifically on Chicago docs.

Ariista, have you seen a doctor about starting medication yet? Propecia works very well for stabilizing hair loss. I would also consider taking a look at the www.iahrs.org if you’re seriously considering having a hair transplant. No disrespect to Dr. Rassman, but you have one of the best hair transplant surgeons in your own home town, with a much better reputation of consistency and from what I have read, patient satisfaction. Personally I haven't seen any great results from Dr. Rassman. Check out Dr. Raymaond Konior in Chicago. There is another doctor in your area also listed on the iahrs, Dr. Keller. It might be worth talking with both of them.

Default wow thanks Winston

I will indeed look into the Docs you mentioned at iahr. I am not really keen to using medication. At the age of 51 ,I dont think Propecia would be beneficial. You are not impressed with Rassman's works? Thanks for reminding me of Konior. I have heard of him. What path have you gone down Winston?