+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 21 and Unsure

Default 21 and Unsure

First of all, let me introduce myself. My name is Stephen, and I'm a Junior in college. I've been losing my hair since I was around 18. Since the beginning of college, so about 2.5 years, I've been using Propecia and Rogaine. I'm fortunate enough to have a very supporting family, as my dad knows what I'm going through (he had the same hairloss timeline) and says he's willing to do whatever he can to help me through it.

I have the type of hairloss that's mostly around my temples. My crown/back area is not thinning very much at all, but I have a noticeably receeding hairline - I'd say I'm a class 2. I usually get my hair cut reasonably short (not a buzz, usually like a 3 or 4) and let it grow out to maybe around an inch and a half before getting it cut again. I've been lucky on the "ridicule" end of the spectrum, as I think I'm still able to keep my hairloss fairly non-obvious to the people who don't pay attention (I think. Maybe I'm living in a delusional world). It would be very obvious to anyone here.

I guess I'm starting to arrive at a crossroads. My genetics are a brute force, and they're determined to take my hair from me eventually. I'm sure that the treatments I'm currently using have helped fight the good fight, but they're not going to win in the long run. I've heard that the earlier the hairloss starts, the more fierce it is, and I'm one of the first in line of anyone I know. Lately, I feel like it's been getting worse. Now, whether that's me being hyper sensitive (some days I feel fine and others I feel awful), I'm not sure.

My dad is very proactive and willing to get transplantation surgery for me. As appealing as that sounds, neither him nor I want to have a situation where I get the transplant now, but fifteen years from now I don't have enough donor hair to fill in the rest of my head and it ends up looking weird/unnatural. Furthermore, unlike some of the men on here who perhaps are less socially concerned with getting a transplant, if I were to get one I would want to make sure that none of my friends noticed. Or if they did, I could explain it away with a "new haircut" or something along those lines. The longer I wait on that option, the worse I will look/more obvious it will be.

Do any of you have experience in this regard? If I were 30 and this was happening to me, I would not be as socially worried. But as the only 21 year old in my group of friends who's going through this, it can be very difficult at times. I miss the days where this wasn't something that I ever even was aware of.

If you REALLY think you NEED a transplant, then don't be so concerned. I think propecia will help you maintain what you have to a good extent. Histogen might release their formula within 5 years. I am positive there will be something within 15. I don't tihnk you have that much to worry about.

Norwood 2 is still good hair man. Just try to maintain. I don't think you need a transplant. Think carefully about it. And if you do decide to do it, remember it costs a bit more than you think. Because good doctors are VERY rare. Choose very carefully.

I myself am new to all of this. I justt got on finasteride 4 days ago. Id say I look better than norwood 3 vertex, but I am definitely "getting there". Hopefully I can reverse some of this.

Good luck man you are lucky with such support from family