+ Reply to Thread

Default What kind of balding is this?

The entirety of my scalp is pretty much thinning out and I'm a little confused as to why. Even the back of my head is kinda hollowed out as you can see, which I find kind of peculiar as I've never seen anyone lose hair in that region before. I've never noticed any excessive shedding in the shower or while brushing, or any indication of a receding hairline.. It just kinda gradually happened over the course of a year.

I went to the doctors today and listed it as a secondary issue but when I asked about it he said he was awaiting some thyroid result or something like that and said it was another problem for another time and proceeded to tell me "they have things that help with that" I feel like he just kind of downplayed it and didn't really take me seriously..

If anyone has any idea as to what this might be, I'd appreciate the feedback. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg

Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	50479   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg

Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	50477  

You're a diffuse thinner. It doesn't really follow a pattern.
    If it's stress your hair usually falls out in plucks, yours is thinning all over. You're losing hair very gradually. Either it's in the shower or it's at a normal rate, but your hair follicles are too weakend to keep up. That's why you don't notice the shedding.

I'd await the results of the tests but 9 out of 10 it's hereditary. Probsbly also the reason why your doctor is downplaying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggyolkio View Post
    The entirety of my scalp is pretty much thinning out and I'm a little confused as to why. Even the back of my head is kinda hollowed out as you can see, which I find kind of peculiar as I've never seen anyone lose hair in that region before. I've never noticed any excessive shedding in the shower or while brushing, or any indication of a receding hairline.. It just kinda gradually happened over the course of a year.

I went to the doctors today and listed it as a secondary issue but when I asked about it he said he was awaiting some thyroid result or something like that and said it was another problem for another time and proceeded to tell me "they have things that help with that" I feel like he just kind of downplayed it and didn't really take me seriously..

If anyone has any idea as to what this might be, I'd appreciate the feedback. Thanks!
    My mother had thyroid issues, which caused the hair to EVENLY fall out around her head.

But if it's only on the top, it's definitely androgen alopecia (ninety percent certain).

It sucks. That said, if you are a full grown male, would start one milligram or less Finasteride daily. Mix it with
    five percent foam (Minoxidil foam, so there's no dandruff). It can save your hair.

Even if you get a transplant, you still need to save the hair you have.

Quote Originally Posted by k9gatton View Post
    My mother had thyroid issues, which caused the hair to EVENLY fall out around her head.

But if it's only on the top, it's definitely androgen alopecia (ninety percent certain).

It sucks. That said, if you are a full grown male, would start one milligram or less Finasteride daily. Mix it with
    five percent foam (Minoxidil foam, so there's no dandruff). It can save your hair.

Even if you get a transplant, you still need to save the hair you have.
    I don't get it..NOBODY in my family has this weird shit that I have. My dad lost his hair gradually over time via typical male pattern baldness with the receding hairline at whatnot, as well as his my grandfather and that started in about their early twenties. I'm 26 and thought I was in the clear up until about a year ago when I first started to notice overall thinning, but didn't chalk it up to anything more than just having fine hair. My moms side doesn't really have much baldness to speak of anyway. It's not just the top but the back too, as you can see in the photo above, as well as little bit of one of my sides, which is why I noted it as peculiar. Twenty six isn't an acceptably age to lose hair. At least not in my opinion. Thirty six maybe, but not twenty six. It portrays a sense of abnormality that says "Hey, my body is weak and doesn't know how to do its job right". So Then you get to spend tons of money to do it for it, but I digress.

what I'm trying to get at, is that I don't get understand how I could inherit something that has no relevance to my family through a genetic disposition. Thats like two people of say, asian decent having a white baby. Doesn't make sense..

Admittedly, I have a bit of a short temper and usually get pretty pissed once or twice a day, in addition to having a shitty diet; but if it was a stress or diet issue, I feel like the shedding would noticeable like the previous poster mentioned, which it isn't.

The doctor I visited yesterday was a jackass and rubbed it off like it wasn't a big deal and chose to focus on a secondary issue I didn't care about. Now I have to wait until march to see another doctor to know for sure due to my crappy insurance and its infuriating.