+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default ARTAS Cost per graft?

Hey guys been reading a lot on this forum and went to my first consult yesterday.
    Was really taken back by the cost of the recommended 2000-2200 graphs would cost me using the Artas.

I understand its more about the skilll in placement but was wondering what everyone else has paid per graft. I was quoted $15k out the door, and walked out.
    Last edited by Tron; 01-26-2017 at 09:37 AM. Reason: graft not graph

Many SoCal doctors advertise $8 per graft. I paid $6 but had to negotiate.

How many grafts did you get? Are you happy?

2000. But... it is seven months and I see little growth. I'm worried it did not work. Everybody says to wait a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tron View Post
    Hey guys been reading a lot on this forum and went to my first consult yesterday.
    Was really taken back by the cost of the recommended 2000-2200 graphs would cost me using the Artas.

I understand its more about the skilll in placement but was wondering what everyone else has paid per graft. I was quoted $15k out the door, and walked out.
    Hold on a moment. You were told that the importance of a procedure relies more on the placement or is this your assumption?

In my opinion, the extraction is the most important part because if that isn't done right, placement becomes a moot point. Unfortunately we can't assume that extraction is performed correctly every time because even the robot can have a bad day which is dependent on two factors.

1. Doctor experience and judgement.

2. Patient physiology.

If you've got an inexperienced doctor he/she may just allow the robot to push forward even with graft extractions that aren't looking so great. An experienced hair restoration surgeon will simply stop the procedure, assess, and move forward with the robot if adjustments are successfully made or switch to a handheld punch (motorized or non) to complete the procedure safely.

The bottom line is, what you pay for per graft should be determined by the experience, judgement and artistry of the practitioner and his/her team. If they don't have the experience then they shouldn'be able to justify the cost.

This applies also to clinics that have great reputations based in strip work but feel they can charge 8 dollars per graft for FUE based on their name alone. It's ludicrous, and dangerous, since the patient thinks they're getting the same experience.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Thanks for your response to Tron. I personally am very frustrated at this point with my transplant. No growth on my crown. As I am at seven months, I am keeping my fingers crossed that I am a "late bloomer, or that the crown is slow growing. Perhaps I just don't have the right conditions for a transplant, but I have no health issues at all. My hair dose not look worse, just looks the same. I guess hair transplants are just not for everybody. I can't say it was worth it to spend 12k and miss two week of work. But I will wait til a year before I make any final judgments.

Great replies. According to what the docs around here have been saying, they pay $250K for one of these machines and pay a $1 per graft royalty for every transplant. Perhaps the increased expense of ARTAS has to do with them recouping those expenses?

So you are saying that the absolute advantage of the ARTAS is in the preservation and viability (survivability), of the graft? Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tron View Post

I paid $7 per graft with one of the IAHRS surgeons. Every graft extracted past the quoted amount cost an additional $2.50.

I for the life of me still can't understand how the ARTAS continued to extract grafts past the agreed amount, but by the time all was said and done I walked out with a $17,500 tab for a relatively modest procedure (2,722 grafts).

As someone who's 8 months on the other side of the decision you're pondering, I can tell you it ain't cheap and I'm still not sure it was worth the investment. $17,500 has gotten me very modest growth so far. I would exhaust all options before taking that plunge.

Quote Originally Posted by thinning85 View Post
    I paid $7 per graft with one of the IAHRS surgeons. Every graft extracted past the quoted amount cost an additional $2.50.

I for the life of me still can't understand how the ARTAS continued to extract grafts past the agreed amount, but by the time all was said and done I walked out with a $17,500 tab for a relatively modest procedure
    Wow you are a better man than me I wouldn't have paid anything more than what I was quoted and walked out. Not to mention the fact that somebody wasn't watching the machine so it just kept going (further depleting your donor area and your wallet). I know for a fact the ARTAS keeps track of every graft it pulls as that is how the manufacture earns its $1 per follicular unit royalty.

The first doc I went to quoted me $15k and I walked, they called back a day later and said they could do it for $11k cash. I said no thanks. Then I went to his nearest IAHRS competitor told them I was quoted $9k. They shot back a price just under that. We went back and forth a little but agreed on $7500. My surgery is in 2 weeks.

Thinning85, you don't have less hair than before right? You just haven't seen much new growth yet, correct?

Thanks above. You can negotiate prices. Very wise move. At the same time, I can't say it is worth it. I still have a nice bald spot on the top of my head. I don't look worse, but also don't look much better.