+ Reply to Thread

Default My hair loss story + should I take finasteride?

Let me give a background on myself, I'm 21 years old and have diffusing thinning on the top of my scalp. The thinning started when I turned 19. A year later at 20, I had a severe psoriasis infection (along with folliculitis) on my scalp which persisted for 4 months. This was the most gruesome illness I had in my life; I had patchy lesions on my head for months which I persistently scratched. My dermatologist gave me a steroid lotion (Betamethasone Dipropionate), and coal tar shampoo which I applied on my scalp. After going on this treatment for 2 months or so, the infection went away.

Its been 6 months since I recovered, my scalp is clean, but my hair is even thinner now. It looks similar to this:
    https://www. ************ .com/interact/attachments/05072014133-jpg.26602/
    I think the infection and the scratching of the lesions accelerated the hair loss.

I've been thinking of taking finasteride. Will finasteride grow back the hair that I lost? Are there any side effects that I have to watch out for? I need some advice on how to use the drug, as well as the precautions I should take.

Thank you.

I took finasteride for month only , now 7 months later and none of the side effects have subsided . Genital Shrinkage , zero libido , panic attacks , insomnia and mental fog . While the chance maybe 10%-20% , it is definitely not worth it and I would give everything I own to be able to return to pre-finasteride state .

finasteride work for most of the men specially for young people like you.

I thought there was only finasteride and minoxidil available to treat my hair loss.

Quote Originally Posted by hasan641 View Post
    Let me give a background on myself, I'm 21 years old and have diffusing thinning on the top of my scalp. The thinning started when I turned 19. A year later at 20, I had a severe psoriasis infection (along with folliculitis) on my scalp which persisted for 4 months. This was the most gruesome illness I had in my life; I had patchy lesions on my head for months which I persistently scratched. My dermatologist gave me a steroid lotion (Betamethasone Dipropionate), and coal tar shampoo which I applied on my scalp. After going on this treatment for 2 months or so, the infection went away.

Its been 6 months since I recovered, my scalp is clean, but my hair is even thinner now. It looks similar to this:
    https://www. ************ .com/interact/attachments/05072014133-jpg.26602/
    I think the infection and the scratching of the lesions accelerated the hair loss.

I've been thinking of taking finasteride. Will finasteride grow back the hair that I lost? Are there any side effects that I have to watch out for? I need some advice on how to use the drug, as well as the precautions I should take.

Thank you.
    It will. It could have side effects. You can always microdose with Finasteride and use Minoxidil foam with it if you are
    concerned.

Worst case, you find out it does have sides, just stop before it turns into something bad. From what I've read, the men who
    have permanent side effects (I take Finasteride myself, but side effect free) have gotten side effects after they have stopped. But
    I do believe PFS is real, and around five percent. (Higher than Merc initially claimed).

Unfortunately, I did NOT take Finasteride when I was in my twenties. Although I'm saving my hair, and some is growing back, I will
    always be at least a Norwood three. Never lower than that, unfortunately. Big mistake on my part.