Need some advice on whether or not to keep taking finasteride - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default Need some advice on whether or not to keep taking finasteride

Alright so I'm 21 years old. Extremely young and not at all ready to go bald. I've been on fin for roughly a month now and it has caused me to lose insane amounts of hair. I can honestly say I am much worse off at week 4 than I was before I started taking the medication.

Also it should be noted that some days my scalp burns and itches like crazy and on these days in particular I lose hair on the excessive side. Now my question is; could this be Hyperandrogenic effect? Should I just stop taking the drug or stick to it? My hair loss before taking the drug was noticable only at my temples. It was so subtle that my pharmacist actually asked me if I was wearing a wig. Now I have diffuse thinning and it looks terrible.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. As I am now really becomming despondant.

Bump. Any advice on this please guys.

Sound's like you're experiencing telogen effluvium which is a temporary shedding of the hair. As long as you are not suffering from side effects you should continue with the drug. If the drug made your hair loss worse it wouldn't be around. Telogen Effluvium generally resolves after a few months.

Thanks for the input. I guess I just need some motivation to stay on it. I guess my only option is to keep taking it and hope it gets better.

This is just an update since I've seen so many of these threads that the orginal poster never ended up sharing the final result and basically I stopped taking Fin due to a bunch of other side effects including Libido loss and watery semen, as well as some heavy scalp issues. It's been roughly a week since I've stopped and already my hair is starting to grow back and the sexual sides have nearly dissapated. Guess I'm just not meant to take this drug.

Quote Originally Posted by AjE View Post
    This is just an update since I've seen so many of these threads that the orginal poster never ended up sharing the final result and basically I stopped taking Fin due to a bunch of other side effects including Libido loss and watery semen, as well as some heavy scalp issues. It's been roughly a week since I've stopped and already my hair is starting to grow back and the sexual sides have nearly dissapated. Guess I'm just not meant to take this drug.
    Boy, consult your doctor... if u are suffering from genetic balding, it will be a terrible mistake to quit finasteride.