Long term dutasteride use -- my experience and a question - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default Long term dutasteride use -- my experience and a question

Some background. I have been on avodart the past five years. I had been on proscar (1.25 mg/day) or propecia (1 mg/day) for roughly eight years prior to my transition to dutasteride. In addition, I've used Minoxidil and Nizoral 2% shampoo for all this time (still do) and a few other things I gave up on. I switched to dutasteride because I could no longer trust the quality of the generic finasteride I had been ordering from India as the pills and packaging looked different accompanied by greater than normal shedding after about 6 weeks on these questionable pills.

I decided to give dutasteride a try at .5 mg/day and had the normal scary shedding period followed by some nice returns after 8 months. Before the dutasteride started to prove itself, I looked into restoration docs and committed to a FUE procedure. It's been four years since that was done and I've been very pleased with the results. Because I have some thinning at the crown, I was advised by my doc to remain on finasteride or dutasteride for maintenance after the procedure. After almost 2 years on .5mg/day, I started taking it every other day, and then MWF, which has been my dosing for about 2 years now.

I'm 45 and my sides on avodart have been tolerable. I had some ED issues especially on the higher dose, which definitely improved when I switched to three days a week. Though it's not like it was prior to being on hair loss meds. I've also had noticeable body hair loss which I have to believe is related to the dutasteride.

Here is my question. After two years taking avodart M, W, F, with no loss since my restoration, I wonder if it makes sense to cut back to Monday and Friday while continuing to use topical Minox. Does anyone have experience or advice regarding two day a week dosing on dutasteride? Especially for someone who has had a restoration?