+ Reply to Thread

Default Shock loss around the scar???

Does anyone know whether it's relatively common to have shock loss at the far end of a scar?? (IE right by the ear where they close up the scar)

I can't tell whether this is shock loss or just an enlarged scar area. (3 months post op here)

Anyhow, I don't know whether I'm screwed or I can expect hair to eventually start growing over the spot like the rest of the scar

Notice the big indent. It's not the greatest picture, but you can see the indent if you look.
    Please help. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	downsize(14).jpg

Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	4575  

It could be shock loss as this can occur in the donor or recipient region. It's more than likely temporary and, in this case, should grow back within a few months.

The other possibility is that your surgeon accidentally transected existing hair follicles, in which case the hair loss would be permanent. However, this scenario is less likely, particularly in the hands of a competent physician.

From personal experience, I have both good and bad news for you. The bad news is the same thing happened to me, and it continues to happen to this day. About 6 years ago (when I was 24) I had my first HT, about 4-5 months into it, I had hair growing on the top of my head, and hair falling out all around the donor site. I first noticed it while on vacation, after getting out of the shower and drying my hair the towel was full of hair from the sides and back of my head. My hair today is definitely thinner in that area today which requires me to keep my hair a bit longer than most to cover the scar.

The good news is... you have a very nice donor scar. It looks like it healed/is healing nicely. I am in the process of looking into scar reduction on both the donor site and the transplant site so I can go back to shaving my head. I actually miss being bald, it way less hassle/stress. As you get older, you realize its only natural to bald.