Arrow Please Read First: Asking Questions In This Area

Dr. Redmond has elected to not answer all questions if he feels the question is requiring specific medical advice which he cannot provide without actually seeing a patient. The questions he decides to not answer will be moved to the "Women's Hair Loss: Start Your Own Topic" section so that another physician may be able to contribute his/her thoughts or so that your question may be answered by someone else in the community. You will receive notification if your question has been moved.

Responses to questions can take up to week, so please be patient. If you would like to receive notification when a reply has been made, please make sure to subscribe to your thread.

As previously mentioned, there are other physicians who also answer questions on this forum, as well as community members who can offer their own experiences. Some questions may be better suited for the "Women's Hair Loss: Start Your Own Topic" section since you might receive more opinions and replies.

Thank You.

I started to suddenly lose my hair in Central Asia, summer 2007, after arriving there 6 months earlier. I returned home to USA in March, 2008. All bloods and hormone levels are normal for female 50+...thyroid nodules benign, thyroid levels normal. Endocrinologist, dermatologist are not concerned or offering treatment or answers, except steroid therapy and ? stress reduction? Scalp biopsy has not been done and I am not on any meds.

I had Hepatitis B&C vaccine in the summer, 2006, before going, as well as vaccines for Cholera, Pneumonia, Typhoid. The heavy metals (lead, mercury), posr-Soviet nuclear radiation, water pollution, potable water disinfection, lack of hygiene and garbage disposal, nasty bugs, air pollution including > 1000 (?measured in mcg/dL?)formaldehyde, etc. may be enviornmental .. It is now 9 months since returning home and hair loss is continuing, so much so that a blonde newborn has more than I do.

Seems that if it is stress/ ecology/ pollution related, hair loss should have stopped as I returned to US 9 months ago. However, the thinning is persisting and you can now see my scalp through the hair at the hairline. Need advice and referral in NYC-NJ metro area. Thank you.