+ Reply to Thread

Default Questions about Hair System Wearing

I've been doing a lot of research for myself on the net and while I've take in a lot there is still some stuff that is unclear. If experienced wearers could help me then I'd appreciate it.

1. How long are they continuously stuck to your head? Some places I've read say for months on end, other places every 3-4 weeks, other places weekly, and other places say they're taken on and off daily. Very confused about this TBH.

2. How are they stuck to your head? Is it tape? Or is it glue? A combination of both? Or is it a preference?

3. Hair Club For Men and this other salon I read about say they use "polymer bonding". Is this just normal glue or is it something else entirely? I've heard that stuff fuses with your head for months.

4. Does your growing hair underneath affect the bond or the system?

5. How often do you unattach the system for the purpose of shaving the underneath hair?

6. Can you and should you shower in it? Are you SUPPOSED to shower the system? Or is it better to use a shower cap?

7. In terms of "cleaning and maintenance" what exactly are you cleaning for? Your sweat? Dust? Or dried glue? Or what?

8. Does the hair dry out of lose quality or fall out over time? How do you deal with this?

9. How long does a system last before you need to replace it?

Thanks

1. How long are they continuously stuck to your head? Some places I've read say for months on end, other places every 3-4 weeks, other places weekly, and other places say they're taken on and off daily. Very confused about this TBH.

There are basically 3 scenarios. (1) The Hair Club type salons glue their pieces on with acrylic glue, typically for a month at a time. You can't remove them - they glue the piece to a strip of stubble around your bald spot, and then eventually they shave the piece off by razoring the stubble. All sorts of hygiene and realism problems with this technique - definitely not recommended. (2) Most DIY hair system wearers attach their pieces for between 1 and 2 weeks. Most system glues are formulated to hold about that length of time. This is what I do. (3) A few guys take their units off every night, usually to minimise wear and tear on the unit. I think it is most older guys who do this - it's not really practical if you are trying to keep the fact you wear private.

2. How are they stuck to your head? Is it tape? Or is it glue? A combination of both? Or is it a preference?

Yeah, tape or glue or a combination. For skin based systems (i.e. fine plastic membrane bases) it has to be glue - removing tape would tear the base. For lace (i.e. mesh) bases it can be tape or glue. Glue gives a better looking result, but is messier to clean up. Tape is easier and a bit stronger usually. I use tape at the back and sides, but glue at the hairline, and that is pretty typical.

3. Hair Club For Men and this other salon I read about say they use "polymer bonding". Is this just normal glue or is it something else entirely? I've heard that stuff fuses with your head for months.

It's acrylic glue - Superglue basically.

4. Does your growing hair underneath affect the bond or the system?

Not for a normal 1-2 week attachment. As mentioned above, the longer-term Hair Club type bonding is to a stubble "track" rather than to skin. It is affected by hair growth, because as the stubble track grows out the hairpiece becomes loose - yet another reason for avoiding that process.

5. How often do you unattach the system for the purpose of shaving the underneath hair?

In my case once every 7 days. Lots of guys go 10 to 14 days.

6. Can you and should you shower in it? Are you SUPPOSED to shower the system? Or is it better to use a shower cap?

Yes, showering is no problem. If you are showering very frequently (e.g. after daily workout) it is best not to shampoo the system each time. Just let the water run through the system hair. You can still shampoo your natural side and back hair. Hair system hair doesn't get dirty as fast as real growing hair, because it doesn't get a coating of sebum from your scalp.

7. In terms of "cleaning and maintenance" what exactly are you cleaning for? Your sweat? Dust? Or dried glue? Or what?

All of those things. You need to get dried glue off the base, and at the same time you are freshening up the hair and washing out any dust or dirt.

8. Does the hair dry out of lose quality or fall out over time? How do you deal with this?

Yes, the hair does deteriorate. You have to condition hair system hair regularly and well to keep it in good shape. Even so, it has a lifespan of about 4 - 6 months; less if if you wear it in strong sun for long periods, or if you swim in chlorinated water. You have to treat these things as disposable, and make sure you always have a back-up to replace it before it gets dried out and ratty.

There is always a bit of shedding from a system, especially for the first week or so. But there shouldn't be a problematic amount of shedding within the lifespan of 4-6 months.

9. How long does a system last before you need to replace it?

Count on 4 months, maybe a bit less for your first couple of units while you are learning the ropes. You can get 6 months if you are willing to treat them with kid gloves.

1. This is a personal choice based on a few factors but most DIYers will do 1-4 weeks. There's no definitive time but I dont recommend longer than 3 weeks.

2. Either

3. Fancy name for Superglue

4. No

5. See answer 1

6. Yes you can but shampoo the unit once a week. You can run water through it and shampoo your own hair.

7. All plus dead cells / skin. It will feel fresh and clean and nice.

8. Yes. There are many things you can do to extend a piece but ultmately it needs to be replaced.

9. I am getting 6 - 12 months, but I choose to replace after about 8- months so its always in peak condition