+ Reply to Thread

Default Scar Question for Someone with Knowledge

Nearly 3 months ago, I underwent my second strip procedure. I am 27. (First when I was 22). I have my hair cut with a 2-guard in this picture.

I had the procedure done by an extremely reputable doctor. The office rep (no idea if he's a snake-oil salesman) told me this scar would look much better than the first scar. The first was ripped out and this one was put in place. I do not believe they used the Tricopythic procedure. It is just a new scar.

Anyhow, it's by no means horrendous, but it has not seemed to improve since the first month. I was assured after 1 month, that I would be able to eventually cut my hair down to a 1 guard with hardly any visibility. I goffed at this, but the rep and doc continued to reassure me. I started to believe them, because what reason did he have to lie after he had already sold me on the surgery. However now I'm starting to wonder whether this scar is going to improve at all.

My questions are:
    1. How does it look after three months?
    2. Will the scar become any less noticable? I feel like it seems pretty wide and visible right now. I don't buy into the notion that it's shock loss.
    3 How long do I need to wait before I can really examine how good the scar looks.
    (I don't need any advise on a scar revision, I just want someone's thoughts on how this one looks and what I can expect since I don't feel like I can get a legit opinion from the doctor's office)

Also DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE HALO LOOKING THING ABOVE THE STRIP THAT'S JUST AN ILLUSION BECAUSE OF THE LIGHT.*****

Thanks again!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	scar22.jpg

Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	4572   Click image for larger version

Name:	scar33.jpg

Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	4574  

Your scar look quite typical to me. Some people take longer to heal, but it should become much less noticeable when it lightens up. I don't think people who have a strip can get away with extremely short buzz cuts in the back, but if you let your hair grow about an inch it should be completely hidden.
    Who performed your surgery?

Default Thanks!

Thanks Winston. I don't want to reveal the doctor at this second, because I don't want to sell him down the road if this isn't the end result.

So you actually think the scar "lightens up" with time and becomes less noticeable??? This is what I'm interested in. I really like to keep it short, and I honestly don't mind showing a little scar, I just don't want it to JUMP OUT like it does now.

I kept it at this length before and while people did notice the scar, it did not jump out at anybody. I guess this one worried me a little because before I cut it, my hair was a little longer, like a 4-guard (1 inch) and it still kind of had the appearance of hat hair. Before, only when I went to a 2 was it detectable, but never at a 4.

Anyhow, how long does the lightening process take? Is it strange that this scar is a little raised? The doctor says it's not, but I can feel a bump where it is.

Thanks again!

I think if you wait a few more months with a little longer hair and some more healing it might be fine.

I don't know though, just a thought.

Good luck man

I had a HT 6 years ago. For me, the scar is still pinkish in color, and raised in some areas. Unfortuantley, I think it stays like this.

At that hair length, the scar is definitely visible but far from being horrendous. Strip scars can be really unpredictable, even in the hands of the best surgeons. Everyone has different healing characteristics and the scars can stretch or widen over time. I think it was a bit misleading of the rep to tell you it would be virtually undetectable at a 1- or 2-guard but, with that said, the scar should continue to fade over time and will hopefully become gradually less noticeable (particularly if you keep your hair grown out a bit more).