+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Minoxidil And Cats - Any Opinions?

Hello All,

First post here!

I have been using Minoxidil for 5-6 years now, but I have a worry about using it while owning a cat.

Our cat passed away last year from heart failure. It was a gradual process, over a few years where symptoms started (vomiting, nervousness) which were not initially recognized as heart failure.

But then last year there were two very sudden episodes, the 2nd of which killed the poor girl. She was actually out of the house both times, and the 2nd fatal episode occurred hours after she returned from 2 weeks at a cattery and had not been exposed to minoxidil over that time at all.

I kept the minoxidil in a room the cat could not get into and I always thoroughly washed my hands after every use, yet our cat died of a heart condition where her lungs filled up with fluid, which is very similar to a short term reaction to minoxidil.

The warnings I have encountered online suggest that a cats reaction to minoxidil usually occur after 8 hours (lethargy) and then after 4 days (fluid filling the lungs, cardiac issues, and ultimately death).

We have just adopted two new cats, and I've cut out minoxidil for the moment. I'm posting here for your opinions? I'm worried exposure over time to minoxidil, via the smell or perhaps or walking through a dried up part of it on my hair, gave my cat her heart failure condition and I certainly don't want to restart until I get some advice. Anyone with a cat here that has had any experience with this?

This odd study that actually gave used minoxidil on a cat and it survived:-

Study

And this veterinary journal suggesting it is toxic to cats:-

Journal

Thanks in advance for any opinions on this.

G

Good to meet another cat owner, like myself. My cat is all black, and
    has all his claws! (And a great hunter, at that, birds, squirrels, everything!).

It IS TOXIC to cats.

Not likely. Make NO mistake about it.

Wash your hands, after every use.

In fact, I would really recommend foam, if you're that concerned.

Minoxidil is EXTREMELY dangerous to cats.

Thanks for reply k9 Gatton - it's good to see another cat owner on this site. We've recently adopted two and they are not allowed out for a few weeks but already have their eyes on the squirrels that are in our garden.

I keep the minoxidil locked away in an en-suite bathroom that we've never let any cats into, but I'm still paranoid because of the way our last cat died. She never had access to any of it.

I'm interested in any the foam would be better? I've never used it but could easily switch.

Thanks again for any information or advice!

Inactive

I don't use Minoxidil, nor do I have cats, but as someone who won't even buy grapes/raisins because I don't want to risk my dog accidentally eating one that I might unknowingly drop (as they are extremely toxic), I can imagine how stressful that is. If I were you, I would get the foam - if nothing else than for your own peace of mind, and to serve as an extra precaution.

Have fun with the two new little ones! And my condolences for the one you recently lost....

Thanks pkipling for your post and your kind words.

As adviced by yourself and k9gatton I'm going to move over to the foam. It will dry quicker and leave less residue no doubt. I only ever used the liquid minoxidil at night because of the terrible finish it gave my hair in the mornings so I may well even see an improvement if I can use the foam twice a day.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by garthmarenghi View Post
    Thanks pkipling for your post and your kind words.

As adviced by yourself and k9gatton I'm going to move over to the foam. It will dry quicker and leave less residue no doubt. I only ever used the liquid minoxidil at night because of the terrible finish it gave my hair in the mornings so I may well even see an improvement if I can use the foam twice a day.

Thanks again

Foam doesn't cause dandruff. And is probably unlikely to get in your cats.

Just curious, why can't your cats go outside? Is it because they're too young?

Quote Originally Posted by k9gatton View Post
    Foam doesn't cause dandruff. And is probably unlikely to get in your cats.

Just curious, why can't your cats go outside? Is it because they're too young?
    They've only been with us for a month. When we adopted them from a rescue centre and a condition of their adoption was to keep them in for 2 months so they get into a routine and become familiar with the house before going outside. They should be a lot less likely to then roam to back to their previous home at the rescue centre or become lost then.

Quote Originally Posted by garthmarenghi View Post
    They've only been with us for a month. When we adopted them from a rescue centre and a condition of their adoption was to keep them in for 2 months so they get into a routine and become familiar with the house before going outside. They should be a lot less likely to then roam to back to their previous home at the rescue centre or become lost then.

Good for you. Cat's are such cool animals. They really are.

Can't stand people who declaw them. Mine is an outdoor cat, he's a great hunter. Birds, squirrel (once), and sometimes
    a rabbit or two.

I've lost my cat because I wasn't cautious enough....

Usually, I don’t share about this incident, but I see that more and more owners are making the mistake that I did in the past. I didn’t wash my hands after taking my medication, and I touched the playground of my cat. He had one of those cat trees (something like this https://thepetsmaster.com/best-cat-trees/). My explanation for this tragedy is that the medication got on the playground or even on toys. I’m just saying this because I want all cat owners to be cautious with this medication. Losing my cat was the same as losing a family member.