+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy So I have decided not to start taking finasteride..

To the doomsayers,

Maybe I should thank you, maybe I shouldn't. However, I've decided not to take finasteride to delay my MPB. Recently I got a prescription, and I was just about ready to start taking it.

I was already aware of the effects on libido, and the possibility of experiencing ED. In fact I knew these effects remain for a long period in a (very?) small amount of users, even after discontinuation. Truth be told, I felt confident to take the risk. I have a strong mind and am willing to take risks in life and live with them.

Still, curiosity led me to scan the internet one more time. Only then is when I learned about the possible existence of long-term psychological side-effects: anxiety, depression and brain fog. The first two I had assumed to directly result from the ED. However, I was shocked when I learned there might be actual neurological issues at play. As a graduate student in a competitive STEM field brain fog could significantly impact my life and is not worth the risk for me.

The following documentary also got me to reconsider my decision:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqWoCz4IHqs
    (The case reports seem very believable, except for the guy at 4:30 who seems melodramatic..)

Furthermore the following study caused me reason for concern:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25830296
    It is essentially concluded that most clinical trials done so far have inadequate safety reporting.

Hence, to not make this post any longer, I'd like to say the following. To the people who have put out all the warnings on the forum boards, I have heard you and you have influenced my decision. I just hope it was the right one, because this means I'll keep the psychological stress of having reached NW3 before my mid-twenties.

I'm unhappy having to take this decision, but I'm more unhappy taking something that can affect me cognitively (possibly on a neurological level) for the rest of my life.

I'm very sorry if I'm contributing to the mass hysteria. Make your own decision and do what feels best. I wouldn't blame you for starting this medicine, as I was so close to doing it myself.

Best wishes to all.

Always a big fan of doing what's right for yourself.

That said, have you considered Micro Dosing.

The problem is, without controlling DHT, Minoxidil will eventually
    lose effectiveness. It will only be a matter of years, at most, before
    your Minoxidil gains fall out.

Finasteride really isn't as bad as people claim, in my opinion. I believe
    that one in twenty will have PFS syndrome.

That said, nineteen out of twenty will not.

Inactive

This post is a perfect representation of the type of conversation that should be had about Finasteride. There isn't a single answer that is best for everyone, and while the risks of side effects are quite low, whether or not one feels comfortable taking the risk is something each individual has to decide for themselves. Do the research, use common sense to weed out the extreme alarmists who predict doom to fall on anyone who takes the pill, and ultimately make the decision that is best for you.

I respect your decision and hope your hair stays in tact even without the drug. Wishing you tons of luck (and a Happy New Year).