+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My backstory

Default My backstory

Hi All,

So I'm 29 years old , turning 30 in four months . My father is bald Norwood 6. He started evidently balding at about 25. My uncles and grandfathers on both sides have full heads of hair... However , I seem to be taking after my father. I noticed a change in my hairline at about 23 but put it down to my hairline maturing . It was noticeable on my right side which is where it has receeded most now... This summer (August 2016) I noticed the right side seemed to have receded more. I decided to take propecia 1mg daily from sept. Then after 3 weeks I felt awful and had weird tingly in my nips and kept having hot flushes so I reduced the dose to 0.5 per day . The symptoms persisted so I tried 0.25 and unfortunately the symptoms didn't lift. So I came off propecia mid November . After coming off propecia I was shocked and terrified by the amount of hair I shed in the bath in the morning , way more than I ever did prior to taking propecia . Thankfully , and fingers crossed it continues , after 4 weeks of shedding like a dog after washing my hair , for the last three days I'm only leaving behind 5-10 hairs in the bath in the morning . For the last 4 weeks I'd say I was averaging on 60 or more ! I wish propecia didn't give me any sides and I battled with myself questioning whether they were pseudo sides as I had read awful stories on the inet , but the heating up (hot flushes ) couldn't be argued with and my nipples (sorry for being crude) were definitely extremely sensitive !

So that's my story. Thought I'd give a bit of background as I've been lurking on this forum for quite some time.

A couple of questions that some of you out there may be able to answer:

1.) why did I shed so bad after only being on propecia 2 months ? It seems to have ceased , will shed hairs grow back ?

2.) Right now , other than a receding hairline , I seem to have good coverage all over... As my dad had lost a lot of ground by my age (29 going on 30) and I don't seem to have lost as much , is there a possibility I won't share his balding pattern ?

Will try to attach pics of the dreading hairline but as I'm accessing this via the phone, I'm making no promises!

Thanks in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg

Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	50162   Click image for larger version

Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	50163   Click image for larger version

Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	50164   Click image for larger version

Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	50165  

Sounds like you gave finasteride a fair shot and it didn't work out for you. You did yourself a favor by being critical and understanding the possibility of pseudo sides and recognizing some of the unproven claims that are out there about it. I would never question you experiencing sides if I were you, it does happen and it seems to have happened to you. I am currently on finasteride for the second time in my life, and have never suffered the shedding that many guys do.
    Your questions are not exactly definitively easy to answer because of each persons unique reaction to the drug, and maybe someone with more of a background with it can help out here. I can tell you from what I know about the the shedding of hair, as long as it is terminal, usually always grows back. So the second part of your question is also somewhat loaded. If a person is experiencing MPB its often hard to predict exactly how far or long it will continue, unless that person is young or shows a definitive diffused pattern. If your almost 30 and still have that hairline per your photos I would think your chances of maintaining or keeping a majority of it is much better than say if you were in your mid 20's or younger. If your not thinning in the crown consider yourself lucky at this point as that could indicate a positive sign you may hold on to it longer or it may not be as aggressive as say your fathers. However MPB doesn't discriminate and can start and stop anytime. On another note however thin your hair may be (hard to tell in the photos), I think your hairline looks great and very age appropriate. I wouldn't tell you to not be conscious of it, fact of the matter is it's the first thing practically everyone notices about themselves when looking in the mirror. There will options in the future if it progresses and it really concerns or bothers you, but for now I think I would try to let it go and consider yourself fortunate, most guys on this forum would kill for your head of hair.

Thanks for your response Hairbrain.

Yes, the sides when on propecia were odd and I was so willing them to lift. Sometimes I contemplate trying again at 0.25 every day as I've read sides can lift and the body can acclimatise. However , the shed I experienced coming off it (never shed any for the 2 months on it ) has made me want to steer well clear ! I can't even say it was shedding hairs I'd gained/ retained while on propecia as I wasn't on it long enough.

Yes, no major thinning at the crown or none that is standing out yet. I'm sure it will start thinning out too soon.

Thanks for the compliments about the hairline . It's all I focus on at the moment , as like you said , it's the first thing you see.

Quote Originally Posted by Bb87 View Post
    Thanks for your response Hairbrain.

Yes, the sides when on propecia were odd and I was so willing them to lift. Sometimes I contemplate trying again at 0.25 every day as I've read sides can lift and the body can acclimatise. However , the shed I experienced coming off it (never shed any for the 2 months on it ) has made me want to steer well clear ! I can't even say it was shedding hairs I'd gained/ retained while on propecia as I wasn't on it long enough.

Yes, no major thinning at the crown or none that is standing out yet. I'm sure it will start thinning out too soon.

Thanks for the compliments about the hairline . It's all I focus on at the moment , as like you said , it's the first thing you see.
    From your posts enjoy what your holding on to, maybe you keep it indefinitely. Stay informed just in case.We'll be here........