+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Will i get back to my former thickness if the stress is gone/ how long does that take

Hello.
    I have a question about hairloss.
    I'm an 18 years old male and have a Norwood 2/2.5 right now, I'd say. I'd like to give you guys a bit of a backstory.
    I've always had a receding hairline a Norwood 1 I think but the hair I did have was always thick. Not REALLY thick but thick enough for me to never even care about my receding hairline. But this summer I went through serious mental stress like to the point where I had several outbursts of me just crying hysterically over my university admissions and also simultaneously studying 17 hours a day. Now at this point I had trimmed my hair off so I didn't see any hair fall off but when it grew back it was ridiculously thinner than before I trimmed it off. It had transformed from a Norwood 1 to 2 because the edges although still have a rogue hairs are too thin to still be considered to be a part of my hairline. Now this period of extended stress ended about 2 months ago and I've noticed exponentially increasing hairfall.
    Now I should mention my dad is bald and one of my brother's, in his early 30's is going bald who btw is also a Norwood 3 but he's 30 and im only 18!
    So I guess after all that my question is, is my current hairline a result of stress and if so how long will it take to get back to its former thickness (has already been 2 months of no stress), if it even will?! Or has this extended period of stress just accelerated my genetic predisposition to going bald?

dear anneqazi,

Do not worry too much. Stress causes hairloss and hair loss causes more stress in return. So U understand it is a vicious cycle where one thing gives rise to another and it goes on and on. We all know that Hair grows in cycles - anagen (growing phase) lasts for 3 to 4 years , Catagen (transition phase) which is very short at about 2 to 3 weeks and finally telogen(resting phase) where hair is detached from the root and just waiting to be shed(fall) which lasts from 3 to 4 months. So that means , if you had an event of stress for a lenght of time and it must have triggered a lot of anagen hair to go into the resting phase(telogen) which are about to shed after 3 months. In your case 2 months have already passed away so your a month away to experience more hairloss. but simultaenously you will have hair growing in .Your hairloss should stop in another 1 and half months and you should notice regrowth in another 4 months( I know it is a really a slow process but it is the only true solution ).
    1 Have good amount of sleep. Sleep by 11 pm wake up at 6 am
    2 Drink lots of water 8 glasses per day
    3 Follow A PITTA reducing Diet.
    4 Do simple anulom vilom Pranayam for 20 mins after you wake up and before you go to bed.
    These are the secrets for good hair