+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Hairbrain View Post
    Ok fair enough. If your receding and thinning at the age of 20 you are correct in assuming the future probably doesn't hold much hope for keeping your hair. I'm sure Finasteride may be helping you and if I were you I would continue on with it. So as far as someone running their fingers through your hair, it may or may not be noticeable even when touching the base. There's a lot of variables here. At your age I'm sure your concerned with those intimate situations. This is where it can become a conscious nuisance. In all honesty you can get away with it. I have with no problems. However the possibility of being "outed" will never leave your mind during these situations because it could happen. And that can make you fully enjoying the moment somewhat more challenging. I can tell you it's much less an issue once you are in a long term relationship ( I know boring), and your partner knows and understands. I was once in a relationship for 6 months before I told her that I was wearing a system. She didn't even believe me until I showed her. Along with that learning curve we spoke about earlier comes a learning curve with your comfort level. If wearing a hair system makes you more comfortable and you like the way it looks on you those other issues are quite manageable and you will learn to deal with them. As far as Hollywoodlace is concerned. They have the exact same quality systems that any other supplier would have for on average about 50 to 75 percent cheaper. This is important because if or when the time comes for you, you initially are going to need to probably order a couple of different systems with different degrees of curls to see which you would prefer, the one you don't use you will probably discard of. There are very good quality systems out there that will match your curls perfectly. The other option is to go to a specialty salon and have them do everything for you. It will cost much more and in the end you yourself can get the same results, but as an initial step in may be a good place to start. It's what I did and a year latter figured out I could save a tremendous amount of money and do everything myself except the cut in.
    To be honest, that's what I was considering doing. Going to a salon for a few times just so I can be sure it is all done correctly. I could watch them out it on and learn. Ask questions etc. It would also be a good way for me to get used to the look. Once I get used to the curl they use maybe I could find out the info from the salon on the type of hair density/curl to make my ordering process easier when I go DIY.

In your opinion, when is the right time to make the change? To make it undetectable surely you have to do it before you have any visible scalp. I feel like I may already be at that point. Crazy. What I would give for an average 20 year olds head of hair!

Do you have any examples of a 'full lace' based hair system. Whenever I search for that I get full hair systems (too, sides and back) instead of just the topper which is what I would be needing.

Also, the haircut thing still concerns me. How does one know exactly where to shave the head? Let's say me... I don't have a bad crown now but I want to cover ALL of the thinning areas which includes the top and crown. When shaving how would I know where to stop shaving on the sides of the head and at the back of the head. Does this make sense? I'm sorry for all of the questions. Just trying to wrap my head around it all.

I think given the amount of hair you have you could try a concealer like Toppik. I think all hair systems are detectable either visually or by touch. I spent a lot on the best and every once in a while there'd be someone who would be looking at your hair a little too closely. People don't say anything but once they suspect, it hangs in the air and really saps your confidence more than baldness. Be sceptical of the heavy sell you get from the clinics.

Quote Originally Posted by zurich View Post
    I think given the amount of hair you have you could try a concealer like Toppik. I think all hair systems are detectable either visually or by touch. I spent a lot on the best and every once in a while there'd be someone who would be looking at your hair a little too closely. People don't say anything but once they suspect, it hangs in the air and really saps your confidence more than baldness. Be sceptical of the heavy sell you get from the clinics.
    Thanks for the input. I've thought about the fibres and have hesitated to try them simply because I live in the UK. It rains a lot here. I'm aware that there is a locking spray that holds them in place but I think I'd be quite nervous about that too. Maybe I should give them a try prior to a system.

Quote Originally Posted by winkywoo View Post
    Do you have any examples of a 'full lace' based hair system. Whenever I search for that I get full hair systems (too, sides and back) instead of just the topper which is what I would be needing.

Also, the haircut thing still concerns me. How does one know exactly where to shave the head? Let's say me... I don't have a bad crown now but I want to cover ALL of the thinning areas which includes the top and crown. When shaving how would I know where to stop shaving on the sides of the head and at the back of the head. Does this make sense? I'm sorry for all of the questions. Just trying to wrap my head around it all.
    Sorry about the delayed response......I've given your situation some thought and your best bet is to visit a few salons. Let them know up front your willing to pay for the consultation because you are NOT yet ready to commit. Believe me some of these places are nothing but a sales pitch to get you in the door and coming back once a month. Get as much advice from these places as possible. Let them show you the different bases and their trade offs etc. Regardless of what base you decide on (if or when the time comes) they will be customized to your head in which a template will have to be made. This will only need to be done once. Yes all of this can be done at home but as a novice your going to need some assistance and advice from someone directly. From there you will learn the ins and outs of the business and what works and doesn't work for your unique situation. One thing I would like to follow up on is about concealers, there is a product called Couvre and another called DermMatch, both are water resistant hydrophobic masking concealers that will not come off in the rain or while swimming. Looking at your images you would be an excellent candidate to give these a try. You need very little to make a huge difference. Again it takes some experimenting and you must match the color right. My only warning is that after getting it right you can drastically change your appearance and you will locked into using it anytime your around those who know you otherwise they will certainly wonder what's going on. For me, I started adding a little at time and incrementally increased my usage until it literally looked as if I had gotten 90% of my hair back. It is a great aid to hair transplants but can be very addicting not to mention leave stains on pillowcases or head rests if not careful. Otherwise it can be a great tool in fighting hair loss, especially diffused thinning.