+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default About to begin my Minoxidil Journey. Any Tips?

22 YO Male with diffuse hair loss. Been shedding since I was 17. Dr. recommended I try minoxidil, and I will start this week.

Is there a particular brand you prefer? I'm thinking of buying the walmart or walgreens generic.
    I want to try the foam because I read it's less oily and I want as less oily hair as possible, given that this is a long term solution.
    Is it okay to blow dry my hair after I apply the foam?

Also does minoxidil help with hairline thinning?

Anything else I should know before starting?

Thanks

BUMP

Would like to hear anybody's thoughts on this. I too am a defused thinner and I am just recently considering minoxidil. Currently I am on dutasteride .5 for the last few years.

Honestly, my opinion is don't. Take Propecia instead-once you start minoxidil you're on it for life and stopping will give you a massive shed (that's been my experience anyway). The re-growth isn't great, all it will do is give you back smaller than normal hairs so it's only effective if you're thinning on top or at the crown. It's basically only good for giving you the appearance of a bit more density (the smaller re-growth hairs among the bigger normal sized ones) and so it is of little use to someone with a receding hairline. I found it to be expensive and very time consuming for little gain. I'd only advise using it if you're balding at the crown and for some reason can't take propecia.

^^^Indeed. It's propecia/avodart primarily or don't even bother as far as I'm concerned.

So i am a diffused thinner with some heavier thinning at the crown and without too much frontal recession. Given that from your reaonse, it might make sense for me to us minoxidil if i am up for the perpetual commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by hzk80 View Post
    Honestly, my opinion is don't. Take Propecia instead-once you start minoxidil you're on it for life and stopping will give you a massive shed (that's been my experience anyway). The re-growth isn't great, all it will do is give you back smaller than normal hairs so it's only effective if you're thinning on top or at the crown. It's basically only good for giving you the appearance of a bit more density (the smaller re-growth hairs among the bigger normal sized ones) and so it is of little use to someone with a receding hairline. I found it to be expensive and very time consuming for little gain. I'd only advise using it if you're balding at the crown and for some reason can't take propecia.

Ok, I see your point. I have already started and I am thinning at the crown and my hairline is not receding but is thinning. I don't mind the usage, its simple for me. And don't mind the commitment.

Same here...started yesterday on the foam. Hoping for the best. Maybe will consider finasteride later on.

Start taking propecia as soon as possible is my opinion (unless there's a medical reason that you happen to have that means you shouldn't, such as a malfunctioning liver). Propecia is the only treatment that will halt your balding and enable you to keep the hair you have, plus hopefully grow a bit back. Minoxidil won't do that for you. The side effects are overblown-I didn't take propecia at first because I read up all these highly exaggerated scare stories about people who 'took propecia once and their penis fell off.' I've been on it 7 months now no problems whatsoever, and so have the vast majority of people.

A very small number of people do get side effects, so my advice is to take propecia and monitor yourself for the first month. If you have no problems then great but if you're experiencing side effects at any point then immediately stop and revert back to the old regime. Just remember in terms of what works Propecia is way ahead of any other treatment on the market, including minoxidil.

Quote Originally Posted by Blushark View Post
    BUMP

Would like to hear anybody's thoughts on this. I too am a defused thinner and I am just recently considering minoxidil. Currently I am on dutasteride .5 for the last few years.

It will definitely help to add Minoxidil. Minoxidil works on the hairline as well.

If you want more information on that subject, see Dr. Bernsteins Youtube
    videos.

Minoxidil is just as effective on the hairline and vertex. Usually the Minoxidil
    effects are temporary. But if you add an anti DHT product to Minoxidil, they
    will be permanent. And you will recover much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by hairyboy View Post
    22 YO Male with diffuse hair loss. Been shedding since I was 17. Dr. recommended I try minoxidil, and I will start this week.

Is there a particular brand you prefer? I'm thinking of buying the walmart or walgreens generic.
    I want to try the foam because I read it's less oily and I want as less oily hair as possible, given that this is a long term solution.
    Is it okay to blow dry my hair after I apply the foam?

Also does minoxidil help with hairline thinning?

Anything else I should know before starting?

Thanks

It DEFINITELY helps the hairline equally. For more information, I would
    definitely check out Dr. Bernsteins youtube videos. It's just as effective on the
    hairline.

The issue with Minoxidil is that without Finasteride or Dut, the effects will
    probably only last a couple of years.

However, that said, with an anti DHT medication, Minoxidil regrowth should
    be both faster and permanent.

I grew my entire hairline back, after a script for 2% Minoxidil (when I was 20
    years old, it was script only. I'm an old person. But a Board Certified doctor
    prescribed it to me. She said it would regrow my hairline. She was correct. Within
    months, all of it grew back.