+ Reply to Thread

Default Minoxidil and general thinning.

Hey Guys!
    A bit of backstory of myself.
    Growing up I had amazing hair, and I always got comments from the hairdresser complaining I had to much hair. Anyways, noticed a bit to much hair in my hand when I used some hairproducts one morning as a 15 year old. Nothing major though and I went on with my day. Started to develop an itchy scalp at maybe 16 years old. Got prescribed some cortisonsolution but after that failed I got ketoconazol. Got the itching under control and all good. After that I had some sheds but since I had so much hair I didnt think about it.

Anyways, I noticed some visible scalp when I was 19, panicked and went to the doc. Got told that I didnt have mpb, and shoudnt worry. However I had noticed an increase in shedding and would get about 10 hairs in my palm by just lightly running my hand through my hair.
    Went a year later to the same doc and she still didnt think any action was necessary.
    So about 5 months later I went to another doc who also didnt "see" the mpb but agreed with my that I now had "thin" hair. She recommended rogaine foam. Didnt start it since no doc could confirm that I had mpb.
    Anyways, fast forward to today I am now thinking about starting with minox. I have selfdiagnosed with general thinning since I still have a nice hairline, but I dont have much hair left overall.

So I am asking you guys for advice, what should I expect if I would start minox and I have general thinning and not the standard kind of mpb? Would you guys recommend anything else? (Except for fin ofc)

Minoxidil is a good choice. And if you really think you're thinning, start using Finasteride. Don't quarter it. One milligram
    should be enough.

Minoxidil WILL work on your hairline, so use it there. Use it twice a day.

You can expect shedding. That's only a one time thing. It will last between 12 - 16 weeks. However, once it goes
    away it's gone for good. Unless you're still balding, that's a different case.

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by k9gatton View Post
    Minoxidil is a good choice. And if you really think you're thinning, start using Finasteride. Don't quarter it. One milligram
    should be enough.

Minoxidil WILL work on your hairline, so use it there. Use it twice a day.

You can expect shedding. That's only a one time thing. It will last between 12 - 16 weeks. However, once it goes
    away it's gone for good. Unless you're still balding, that's a different case.

Best of luck.
    Ah, I might not have been clear enough. I am thinning, might have lost about 50+ percent of my hair. Mainly on top but it has thinned out all over. No clear NW stage. Hairline is perfect. But just really thin.
    Would minox give me some of my volume back in the sense that it is worth the money?
    I am accepting the fact that I will have to shave one day, but I would prefer to have a couple more years.

Fin is not an option unless there is clear statistics of sideeffect rates.